Conductivity of solutions

• Thread starter drowningfish134
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conductivity
Molality Conversion (http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=37829)In summary, the discussion focused on the difference in conductivity between sucrose and silver nitrate solutions and solids, as well as the conductivity of liquid sucrose and silver nitrate. It was determined that the difference in conductivity is due to the molecular or ionic nature of the substances, and the ability of ions or electrons to move freely. The conversation also touched on drawing cooling curves for pure solvents and solutions, with the conclusion that both the graph and written description on a website were correct. Lastly, the conversation shifted to a question about finding the molality of a dilute sulfuric acid solution, but the question was left for someone else to
drowningfish134
hey I am doing a chemistry assignment and i can't figure out how to do the following things

Account for the difference in the conductivity of

1.)sucrose solution and silver nitrate solution

2.) solid silver nitrate and solid sodium metal

3.) liquid (fused) sucrose and liquid(fused)silver nitrate

please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, and welcome to PF! Please note that our rules on homework help state that we cannot give out solutions before you have shown us your effort. Please post your thoughts on the question. Also, in future, please post in the other sciences section of the homework forum!

Last edited:
sorry i well do so

well for the first one i was thinking the difference would be because sucrose solution is molecular and insolube in water the conductivity is really low, and the conductivity of the silver nitrate in solution is very good because it is ionic and ionic bonded compounds generally have better conductivity? am i right? and if not what's wrong?

for the second one, the AgNO3 would not conduct because of an ionic compound in the solid state, and the sodium metal conducts well because if not all most mettcalic compound always conduct.

for the third one the ligquid solution of AgNO3 would be just as good as the solution of AgNO3 but i do not have ne ideas on the liquid silver nitrate

drowningfish134 said:
well for the first one i was thinking the difference would be because sucrose solution is molecular and insolube in water
Sucrose is soluble in water
the conductivity is really low, and the conductivity of the silver nitrate in solution is very good because it is ionic and ionic bonded compounds generally have better conductivity?
This is correct. Do you know why ionic solutions are more conductive?

drowningfish134 said:
for the second one, the AgNO3 would not conduct because of an ionic compound in the solid state, and the sodium metal conducts well because if not all most mettcalic compound always conduct.

Correct. Do you know which specific properties of metals enable them to be good conductors?

because the ions are free to move around in the water

becuase in the a metal the electrons are not attcher to any particular cation and so there's a larger amount of mobile electrons?

drowningfish134 said:
for the third one the ligquid solution of AgNO3 would be just as good as the solution of AgNO3 but i do not have ne ideas on the liquid silver nitrate

Read what you've put here again. I think the last bit should read but i do not have any ideas on the liquid sucrose.

You're right with the AgNO3; the fused ions move and therefore the liquid conducts. For the sucrose, what has changed? Is the liquid sucrose molecular or ionic?

nothing has changed, its still molecular, so it still doesn't conduct

drowningfish134 said:
because the ions are free to move around in the water
Well, the ions are free to move around in the solution.

drowningfish134 said:
becuase in the a metal the electrons are not attcher to any particular cation and so there's a larger amount of mobile electrons?

Correct. Metallic bonding is usually described as having a "sea of free electrons" enabling the metal to conduct.

drowningfish134 said:
nothing has changed, its still molecular, so it still doesn't conduct

Correct

im sorry to keep asking questions but i am strugglin in this class...

i have to draw the cooling curves of both a pure solvent and solution.
which one is correctPS
-
-
-
- ---------
- -
--

solution

-
-
- -----------
- -
--or

PS
-
-
-
-
-----------
-
-
-
and solution is the same but the flat line has a slight negative slope??

that didnt work...is it this http://home.att.net/~v.d.singleton/genchem/curve.gif [Broken]
which i think is right or is it go down than parabolas back up then flattens out at the freezin point

Last edited by a moderator:
drowningfish134 said:
that didnt work...is it this http://home.att.net/~v.d.singleton/genchem/curve.gif [Broken]
which i think is right or is it go down than parabolas back up then flattens out at the freezin point

Strictly, as you say, a pure solution would undergo a stage of "supercooling" in which the temperature drops below the freezing point, and then parabolically increases back to the freezing point, and levels out.

Other than that, the graphs look fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
so is ut rge pciture on the website or the wordsi wrote

You can add the parabolic part onto the graph on the website, so in answer to your question... both!

It really depends how advanced your class is, but since you mentioned the "supercooling" then you should draw it on.

alright thanks a bunch!

drowningfish134 said:
alright thanks a bunch!
You're very welcome!

all right, I am glad i found someone can help me!

Concentrated sulfuric acid (18.4 molar) has a density of 11.84 g per ml
dilution with water to 5.20 molar, density of 1.38 g per ml
can be used as an a electroyte is lead batterys.

What is the molality of the 5.20 molar H2SO4 solution?

well I am not exactly sure where to start, but i know that i need to find moles of solute/kg of solvent. i think i should start with grams in one liter and use that to find the number of grams or moles of solution, but other than that i am pretty lost.

where am i wrong and what's next?

It's a long time since I've studied any chemistry, and so I'm rather rusty on calculations. I think it's best if I leave this one for someone else to help you with!

should i repost witha new topic name?

Well, I guess you already have! Here's the link to the question, for anyone that's reading through this thread: Molarity

1. What is the definition of conductivity?

Conductivity is the measure of a solution's ability to conduct electricity. It is a physical property that indicates the presence of charged particles (ions) within the solution.

2. How is conductivity measured?

Conductivity is measured using an instrument called a conductivity meter. This device measures the electrical current that flows through a solution and provides a numerical value for the solution's conductivity.

3. What factors affect the conductivity of a solution?

The conductivity of a solution can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of ions in the solution, the temperature, the presence of impurities, and the type of ions present.

4. What are some common applications of conductivity measurements?

Conductivity measurements are commonly used in various fields such as chemistry, environmental science, and industrial processes. They are used to monitor water quality, determine the concentration of ions in a solution, and assess the purity of substances.

5. How does the conductivity of a solution relate to its electrolyte strength?

The conductivity of a solution is directly proportional to its electrolyte strength. The more ions present in a solution, the higher its conductivity will be. This is because ions are the carriers of electrical charge in a solution.