Aquarium Calculus: Calculating Water Changes

In summary: I believe it was Differential Equations. It's been so long.Anyway, yes, you would have to solve a Differential Equation. It's not as hard as one might think. I'm sure someone would be happy to help you with it if you wanted help.In summary, the conversation discusses how to devise a useful formula for aquarium water changes, including the volume of water to be replaced each day, a general formula for larger or smaller tanks, and a formula that allows for changes in the frequency of water changes. It is determined that the solution involves solving a differential equation and the calculator provided in the conversation can be used to validate the equation.
Jean-Louis
How to devise a usefull formula for aquarium water changes.

I have a 50g tank (not including substrate and animals). I want to do daily water changes so that at the end of 6 months I will have replaced 95% of the water present at the beginning of the water change regimen. I want to replace the same volume every day.

1. What volume should I replace each day?
2. What is a general formula I could use for larger or smaller tanks? Or for changing the amount of time over which I replace the 95%. (So I could use it if I decide to set up a X
gallon tank and have my water 'turn over' period every Y months.)
3. What is a general formula I could use that contains the variables from (2) but also allows me to change the periodicity (say I get lazy and only want to do weekly water changes.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd wait for someone not as rusty to confirm this, but

Gallons of Old at time T = V[initial]exp-(VT/V[initial])

where V=constant removal rate per unit of time, V[iniital]=initial volume
units of removal rate have to equal units of T, e.g. per day, per second

so roughly .83 gallons/per day need to be removed over 180 days to have 5% or 2.5 gallons of old water remaining

regor60 said:
so roughly .83 gallons/per day need to be removed over 180 days to have 5% or 2.5 gallons of old water remaining

This is incorrect as if you change the water 180 times and remove 0.83 gallons each time you get (0.83 gallons/day)*(180 days) = 149.4 gallons

--

Let your volume be X and months be Y (as you requested), then the amount of water you would change per day would be 0.95X/(Y*30) = dv/dt = 0.005277V gallons/day. So, for your 50g tank, you would change 0.264 gallons / day if you want to for 6 months.

Let the 30 become U, where that is the how often you wish to change the water.

so: Y=period (one week, two weeks, 6 months) where you change out the desired % of water.
U = equal division of period (changing water everyday, once a week)

Just to check units...
0.95X gallons / ([Y time][U timeunits/time] = gallons / timeunits

Also, you can change the 0.95 to whatever % of water you wish to change.

My explanation may seem complicated, let me know if you need clarificationSo in short, use this

PX/(YU) = gallons/time

P=overall percentage you want to change out over the period Y
X=Volume of tank
Y=period
U=equal partition of interval that corresponds to how many times you change the water per interval

Last edited:
chemhelper. We do not give out full solutions to homework questions, but are here to guide students to the correct answer. Also, please note that, until the original poster has shown his/her working, and attempts at the question, we cannot give any help. See the guidelines https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379

cristo said:
chemhelper. We do not give out full solutions to homework questions, but are here to guide students to the correct answer. Also, please note that, until the original poster has shown his/her working, and attempts at the question, we cannot give any help. See the guidelines https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379

No evidence that this is a homework question. The fact that someone moved it to the homework section isn't evidence either.

Chemhelper: Your solution is simplistic and wrong. You fail to take into account that the percentage of old water in the tank diminishes with time as it is replaced with new water...he's not emptying the tank, this is an exponential decayh

regor60 said:
No evidence that this is a homework question. The fact that someone moved it to the homework section isn't evidence either.

From past experience, this sounds like a homework question. Also, the fact that a mentor has moved it to the homework forum, shows that they agree with me!

Whether it is homework or not, the way to help a person learn, is not to solve the problem for them, and not to tell them what to do before they have shown to us that they have thought about the problem.

Sorry. I stand corrected.Jean-Louis may come and correct me on this (in which case I am sorry for explaining how to do it), but I do not believe it is his desire or care to learn how to derive formulas; he states that he has an aquarium that he wants to apply this to, so why make him try to learn Calculus? Perhaps he has no idea about how to derive the formula he needs. When I posted, it was in the main forum. So unless you have evidence showing that he is a student, don't criticize me when I was following the rules.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback. This is not homework. I have an aquarium, and I wanted a mathematical approach. I think I founded. I was told that this not a calculus problem, since the water is not continuously changing. So the approach is algebraic.
Sorry if I caused any inconvenience.

(if you are interested I could post the algebraic solution.)

Jean-Louis said:
Thanks for your feedback. This is not homework. I have an aquarium, and I wanted a mathematical approach. I think I founded. I was told that this not a calculus problem, since the water is not continuously changing. So the approach is algebraic.
Sorry if I caused any inconvenience.

(if you are interested I could post the algebraic solution.)

Well, if you're taking water out of the aquarium at some modest rate per period and replacing it with new water, and want to have a certain percentage of "original" water remaining after a certain amount of time, it really is a calculus problem.

The 0.83 gals/day=10.97% per week. Coincidentally, this calculator http://www.angelfish.net/DripSystemcalc.php

validates exactly the equation above if you plug in the 50 gals and 0.83 gal/day rate

Last edited:
I thought this was a Differential Equations kind of Calc. I couldn't do one now but I remember these types of questions in DE.

1. What is the purpose of calculating water changes in an aquarium?

The purpose of calculating water changes in an aquarium is to maintain a healthy and stable environment for the fish and other aquatic creatures. Water changes help to remove toxins, waste, and other pollutants that can build up in the tank over time. This helps to keep the water quality at optimal levels for the well-being of the aquarium inhabitants.

2. How often should water changes be done?

The frequency of water changes depends on the size of the tank, number and type of fish, and the filtration system being used. As a general rule, most aquariums require a 10-15% water change every 1-2 weeks. However, larger tanks or heavily stocked tanks may require more frequent water changes. It is important to monitor the water quality regularly and adjust the frequency accordingly.

3. How much water should be changed during a water change?

The amount of water that should be changed during a water change also depends on the size of the tank and the number of fish. As a general guideline, 10-15% of the total water volume should be changed at a time. This helps to maintain a stable environment and prevents any sudden changes in water parameters that may stress the fish.

4. How do I calculate the amount of water to change in my aquarium?

To calculate the amount of water to change in your aquarium, you will need to know the total volume of your tank in gallons and the percentage of water you want to change. First, multiply the total volume of your tank by the percentage of water you want to change (e.g. 10% of a 20-gallon tank is 2 gallons). This will give you the amount of water to change in gallons. You can then use a measuring cup or bucket to remove and replace the appropriate amount of water.

5. Are there any tools or formulas that can help with calculating water changes?

Yes, there are several online calculators and apps that can help with calculating water changes in your aquarium. These tools typically require you to input the size of your tank, the number and type of fish, and the desired water change percentage, and they will calculate the amount of water to change for you. It is also helpful to keep a record of your water changes and water parameters to track any changes over time.