Magnetic Experiment: Opposites Attract?

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving two magnets with opposite polarities. The result is surprising as the magnets are able to stick together despite the general rule of opposite poles attracting and similar poles repelling. It is explained that the magnetic fields of these specific magnets are more complicated and the attachment occurs at a specific region. Other suggestions are made to further understand the phenomenon.
juan avellaneda
Hi all
a few days ago a friend of mine show my this experiment, that i can't explain

he took a rectangular ceramic magnet dim 2" x 2" x 1" and put on a table with north polarity up, next he took a coin shape neodymium magnet with nort polarity down and begin to approach to the big . In the beginning , there is a repulsion , but with a little push the coin magnet can be attached to the big

how is it possible, not we were saying, opposites atract and similars repel?

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic fields caused by magnets shaped that way are not as simple as the basic bar magnet field you're used to seeing. I'd bet the magnets stuck together a little off-center, right?

- Warren

not only that

and to finish my tale, i'll tell you that when you have the two magnets stucked, if you approach slowly a third magnet of similar power than ceramic, the coin magnet is released to a distance of at least 0.5 feets, like a catapult. Very interesting

How sure are you that the poles were axial? I had some AlNiCo disk magnets that had poles on the edge of the disk rather than one face N and the other S. Of course, that is not what I wanted, but I only found out about it when I saw how they stuck together.

try it

the coin magnet can only be attached to a little region in the center of the ceramic magnet with dimension similar to the coin. Outside this region the magnet is strongly repeled and is impossible to do that.

why don't try it?Its easy to replicate

thks

Two different people have already told you what is happening, no one is doubting what you are seeing. The poles are not the two faces of the plate but the the center and the edge. turn your plate magnet over. What happens now? Should be the same as the other side. Flip you "coin" magnet over? What happens?

Try approaching the edge of the magnet with your "coin", what happens?

turn magnet

when i turn big magnet the "coin" is attracted hardly over all the surface INCLUDING the edge. Does it agree with your idea?

1. What is a magnetic experiment?

A magnetic experiment is a scientific investigation that involves the use of magnets to explore the properties and behavior of magnetic fields. This can include experiments to demonstrate the attraction and repulsion between magnets, the effect of distance on magnetic force, and the properties of different types of magnets.

2. What is meant by "opposites attract" in a magnetic experiment?

In a magnetic experiment, "opposites attract" refers to the phenomenon where two magnets with opposite poles (north and south) will be drawn towards each other and stick together. This is due to the magnetic fields of the two magnets interacting with each other.

3. How do you set up a magnetic experiment to demonstrate opposites attract?

To demonstrate opposites attract in a magnetic experiment, you will need two magnets with opposite poles (e.g. one with a north pole and one with a south pole). Place one magnet on a flat surface and hold the other magnet above it, with the opposite poles facing each other. The magnets will be drawn towards each other and stick together, demonstrating the concept of "opposites attract".

4. What other factors can affect the results of a magnetic experiment?

There are several factors that can affect the results of a magnetic experiment, including the strength of the magnets, the distance between the magnets, and the presence of other magnetic materials in the surrounding area. Temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the strength of magnetic fields.

5. What real-world applications can be demonstrated through a magnetic experiment?

Magnetic experiments have a wide range of real-world applications, including in motors, generators, and speakers. By understanding the principles of magnetism and how magnets interact with each other and with other materials, scientists are able to create and improve upon many technologies that we use in our daily lives.