Mutual Inductance: Formula & Coaxial Loop Model

In summary, the mutual inductance of a single layer coil is difficult to calculate, but can be approximated with the coaxial loops model.
Mica
Hi everyone,

I'am trying to find the formulas of the mutual inductance of an one single layer coil (the cross section is rectangular i.e. the wire is rectangular or a round loop with rectangular cross section)on cylindrical winding form. Does anyone know how to calculate this mutual inductance? Can I approximate the mutual inductance with the coaxial loops model?

Thanks,

Mica

Physics news on Phys.org
M21 = N2Φ21/I1

Hi,

Thanks for yours response.
I would like to have a form like this :

M12 = m (a1a2)1/2 2/k [(1-k2/2) K(k) – E(k)],
k= (4 a1a2 / ((a1 + a2) + h2))
and K(k), E(k)] are elliptic integrals

This is for coaxial loops .

Is it possible to obtain like this form?

Regards,
Mica

Hi,

The correct formulas is :

M12 = (a1a2)1/2 2/k [(1-k2/2) K(k) – E(k)],
k= (4 a1a2 / ((a1 + a2) + h2))
and K(k), E(k)] are elliptic integrals

and another question : how can you subscript or postscript the lettres?

Thanks,

Mica

I appologize. I didn't expect you to be so far along in math. In that case, please try to describe your general situation again. Is the cross-section of the wire itself important to you, or only the shape of the loop (cross-section of coil)? Are the loops coplanar? What are a1 and a2?

For future reference, if you want to find out how to do the scipts, or any special characters that you see in someone else's post, then you can click on the "quote" button to see how they did it.

Hi,

You are a polite person, you don’t need to apologize, you are helping me.

I have a coil (single layer ) which wound around a cylindrical conductor. I explain.
If I have such system, I can find the total inductance by breaking down into three parts.

1)Find the self-inductance (which is the inductance of each loop)
2)Find the mutual inductance (which is between loops i.e. loop1 with loop2, loop1 with loop3, vice versa, etc.)
3)Find the mutual inductance between the coil and the conductor ( assume the coil can be a cylindrical conductor if the loops are close)

So, the total inductance is the sum of the three statements above. The second and third statement can be approximate by use filaments (see p.1 attachment Use filament example).

I have the same system but the only change is the wire is round with a cross section rectangular . I can call it “ single layer coil with round wire but the cross section is rectangular which wound on a cylindrical conductor”. I found the self conductance for this system. (see attachment p.1 Disk coil example) But for the mutual inductance I didn’t find it. Any ideas will be appreciate. I will send the two attachment separately because of their size.

You can find the whole document on this website : http://

Cheers,

Mica

Last edited by a moderator:
p1 attachment

Attachments

• p1.zip
    21.4 KB · Views: 223
p2 attachment

Thanks again,

Mica

Attachments

• p2.zip
    18.4 KB · Views: 238
I'll have to look at this stuff for a while.

Is O.K. when you have time,you can give me some ideas.

Thanks,

Mica

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance is a measure of the ability of two nearby conductors to induce a voltage in each other. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the changing current in one conductor and the voltage induced in the other conductor.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

The formula for mutual inductance is M = k * (M0 * N1 * N2) / d, where M is the mutual inductance in henries, k is the coupling coefficient, M0 is the permeability of free space, N1 and N2 are the number of turns in the two conductors, and d is the distance between the two conductors.

3. What is the role of the coaxial loop model in mutual inductance?

The coaxial loop model is a simplified representation of two conductors with circular cross-sections, one inside the other. This model is useful for understanding the concept of mutual inductance and for calculating the mutual inductance between two coaxial loops.

4. How does mutual inductance affect circuit behavior?

Mutual inductance can cause unwanted voltage and current variations in circuits. This effect is known as inductive coupling and can be mitigated by shielding or separating the conductors. However, mutual inductance can also be deliberately used in circuits, such as in transformers, to transfer energy between two circuits.

5. How does mutual inductance differ from self-inductance?

Mutual inductance refers to the voltage induced in one conductor by the changing current in another conductor, while self-inductance refers to the voltage induced in a single conductor by its own changing current. Mutual inductance involves two separate conductors, while self-inductance only involves one.