Reaction involving copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate

In summary: II) sulfate is heated, while iron (III) sulfate is produced when iron (III) sulfate is heated. The solid in this experiment was reddish-brown, indicating that it was most likely iron (III) sulfate. Additionally, the mass of the solid (2.36 g) is closer to the expected mass for iron (III) sulfate (8.31 g) than for iron (II) sulfate (4.74 g).In summary, the experiment involved dissolving 7.80 g of copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate in water and adding 2.00 g of iron filings. After cooling, the supernate was decanted and the contents of the beaker were dried. The
kinthos

Homework Statement

7.80 g of copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate (CuSO4*5H2O) were dissolved in a beaker of 50 mL of water and heated slowly. 2.00 g of iron filings were added to the solution, and then the mixture was allowed to cool. The supernate was decanted, and the contents of the beaker were dried. The solid at the bottom was reddish-brown, and its mass was 2.36 g.

What was this solid? Was it iron (II) sulfate, iron (III) sulfate, or copper? Was it hydrated?

Homework Equations

Tentative equations:
If iron (II) sulfate formed...CuSO4*5H2O(aq) + Fe(s) = Cu(s) + FeSO4(aq) + 5 H2O(g)
If iron (III) sulfate formed...3 CuSO4*5H2O(aq) + 2 Fe(s)= 3 Cu(s) + Fe2(SO4)3(aq) + 15 H2O(g)

The Attempt at a Solution

The solid was reddish-brown, so it is probably not an iron (II) compound (which are greenish). I don't believe that the solid was hydrated; water vapor rose from the beaker when it was heated (although that may just be due to the aqueous solution).

I attempted to find the theoretical yield by first finding the limiting reactant (CuSO4*5H2O) and then determining the expected mass of compounds. If the solid was copper and was anhydrous, the mass should be 1.96 g; if it was iron (III) sulfate, the mass should be 8.31 g, and if it was iron (II) sulfate it should be 4.74 g.

I'm unsure of the solid's identity. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
"... and the contents of the beaker were dried."

Maybe I'm wrong, but that statement doesn't say "heated", so perhaps the water of hydration wasn't driven off.

Can anyone back me up or explain my error here?

Gracias.

Best of luck.

Steve

iron (II)

is produced

1. What is the chemical formula for copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate?

The chemical formula for copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate is CuSO4 * 5H2O. This means that for every molecule of copper (II) sulfate, there are five molecules of water attached.

2. What is the appearance of copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate?

Copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate is a blue, crystalline solid at room temperature. It is often sold as a powder or in small crystals.

3. What are some common reactions involving copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate?

One common reaction involving copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate is its reaction with iron, which produces a reddish-brown precipitate of iron (II) sulfate and a blue solution of copper (II) sulfate. Another common reaction is the displacement reaction with zinc, which produces a solid of copper and a solution of zinc sulfate.

4. What are the uses of copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate?

Copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate has many uses, including as a fungicide and herbicide in agriculture, as a preservative in wood products, and as a reagent in laboratory experiments. It is also used in the production of pigments, batteries, and copper plating.

5. Is copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate toxic?

Copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate is toxic if ingested, inhaled, or absorbed through the skin. It can cause irritation and burns to the skin and eyes, and can be harmful if swallowed. It is important to handle this chemical with caution and follow proper safety measures when using it in experiments or applications.