Solving A.C Circuits with complex numbers II

In summary, a circuit consisting of a 500 Ohm resistor in series with a 1.2 micro F capacitor is connected to a supply at a frequency of 400Hz. The circuit presents the same value of impedance to the supply as when the resistor and capacitor are connected in parallel.
mattakun
Here is another problem that I'm not sure how to approach

A Circuit consisting of a 500 Ohm Resistor in series with a 1.2 micro F capacitor is connected to a supply at a frequency of 400Hz. Use complex numbers to determine the values of resistance R and capacitance C, that when connected in parallel will present the same value of impedance to the supply.

I'm really not very sure at all where to start here, I've drawn the circuits in series and parallel, I have the complex impedance of the series circuit:
500 - j331 but I don't know where to go from here.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know how to calculate the reactance of a pure capacitor. When you determine the impedance of two reactances in parallel, just work it out like you would two resistances in parallel (only this time, you're using complex expressions for each reactance).

Derive an expression for the overall impedance of a parallel circuit comprising a resistance R and a capacitance C at a frequency of 400 Hz. Then compare that to the prior result and work out what R and C should be.

This is driving me crazy, I'm using the formula Z = R(XC squared)/(R Squared) + (Xc Squared) -j (R Squared)Xc/(R Squared) + (Xc Squared)

The first section being the real number and the second being the imaginary number. By using this I can figure out the parallel impedance of an RC circuit. However the part I'm stuck on is trying to create a formula to find out what R and Xc should be to give me a specific complex number, in this case being 500 - j331.

So in otherwords I don't know how I can get the impedance 500 - j331

Thanks

My god, after hours and hours of work trying to figure it out I've come to the conclusion that Xc = 1086 Ohms and R = 719 Ohms. in order to get the impedance 500 - j331. Not 100% sure if this is correct, but it seems to work..

All I need to do now is calculate what type of capacitor i'd need to get 1086 Xc at 400hz and hopefully this should be fine..

Thanks

1. How do I represent AC circuits using complex numbers?

In AC circuits, the voltage and current are constantly changing, making it difficult to analyze using traditional methods. Using complex numbers allows us to represent both the magnitude and phase of these changing quantities, making it easier to solve the circuit equations.

2. What is the significance of the imaginary component in complex numbers when solving AC circuits?

The imaginary component in complex numbers represents the phase shift between the voltage and current in an AC circuit. This is important because it allows us to account for the time delay between the two quantities, which is crucial in determining the behavior of the circuit.

3. How do I solve for impedance in an AC circuit using complex numbers?

To solve for impedance in an AC circuit using complex numbers, we use Ohm's Law which states that impedance is equal to the ratio of voltage to current. However, in AC circuits, both voltage and current are represented by complex numbers, so we must use the complex conjugate to get the correct magnitude and phase of impedance.

4. Can I use complex numbers to solve for power in an AC circuit?

Yes, complex numbers can be used to solve for power in an AC circuit. The real part of the complex power represents the average power dissipated in the circuit, while the imaginary part represents the reactive power, which is the power that is not dissipated but rather stored and returned to the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to using complex numbers to solve AC circuits?

One limitation of using complex numbers to solve AC circuits is that it assumes the circuit is linear. In reality, some circuits may exhibit non-linear behavior, which cannot be accurately represented using complex numbers. Additionally, complex numbers do not take into account practical factors such as resistance, capacitance, and inductance, which can affect the behavior of the circuit.