Could anyone introduce me to the Bratu problem?

• Thread starter hanson
  • Start date
In summary, the "Bratu problem" is a mathematical concept that appears in various fields such as combustion theory, the Chandrasekhar model, and nanotechnology. It involves solving a Bratu type equation, which is u''(x) + a*e^u(x)=0, and can be researched further through articles found on Google and ScienceDirect.
hanson
Hi all.
Can someone tell me what a bratu problem is?
I have just an equation on hand but I have no clue in what this equation is describing and how it is derived. Could anyone here refer me to some texts or websites about the bratu problem?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hi
i am a math student and right now i am working on Bratu;s problem if u search Bratu;s problem in google and sciencedirect u can find a lot of articles about that. Bratu type equation is u''(x) + a*e^u(x)=0

Bratu’s problem appears in combustion theory of fuel ignition. combustion
is rapid chemical reaction of two or more substances with a characteristic
liberation of heat and light. The burning of a fuel (e.g., wood, coal, oil, or
natural gas) in air is a familiar example of combustion. also bratu’s problem
has application in the Chandrasekhar model of the expansion of the universe
and nanotechnology.

The Bratu problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to a specific nonlinear boundary value problem. It is named after the Romanian mathematician Gheorghe Bratu who first proposed it in 1933. The problem has applications in various fields such as fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and population dynamics.

The equation you have on hand is likely the Bratu equation, which is a second-order nonlinear differential equation. Its solution represents the steady-state temperature distribution in a heated plate with a constant heat source. The equation can be solved analytically in some special cases, but in general, numerical methods are used to find a solution.

If you are interested in learning more about the Bratu problem, I recommend checking out some textbooks on nonlinear boundary value problems or searching for articles and papers on the topic. Some good starting points could be "Nonlinear Boundary Value Problems" by J. L. Massera and J. J. Schäffer or "Numerical Solution of Nonlinear Boundary Value Problems with Applications" by R. P. Agarwal and D. O'Regan.

You can also find some online resources such as lecture notes or research papers that discuss the Bratu problem in more detail. I hope this helps introduce you to the Bratu problem and provides some resources for further study.

1. What is the Bratu problem?

The Bratu problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to a specific type of differential equation. It was first posed by the mathematician Gheorghe Bratu in 1932.

2. Why is the Bratu problem important?

The Bratu problem has applications in many areas of science and engineering, including fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and combustion. It is also used as a benchmark problem for testing numerical methods and algorithms.

3. What is the current status of the Bratu problem?

The Bratu problem is a well-studied problem, but a closed-form analytical solution has not yet been found. However, there are many numerical methods and approximations that have been developed to solve it.

4. How can I learn more about the Bratu problem?

There are many resources available for learning about the Bratu problem, including textbooks, research papers, and online lectures. You can also attend conferences or workshops that focus on this problem.

5. Can anyone introduce me to the Bratu problem?

Yes, there are many scientists and mathematicians who are familiar with the Bratu problem and would be happy to introduce you to it. You can reach out to researchers in the field or attend seminars and talks to learn more about it.