Colombs,Amps,Volts,and Watts. HELP

• Thread starter Mattius_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Watts
So this battery can provide 250 Coulombs x 3600 seconds = 900,000 Coulombs.In summary, a car battery rated at 250 amp-hours can provide a total charge of 900,000 Coulombs.
Mattius_
Colombs,Amps,Volts,and Watts. HELP!

Homework Statement

A given car battery is rated at 250 amp-hours. Does this rating indicate the amount of energy, power, charge, voltage, or current that can be drawn from the battery? Explain.

Homework Equations

Coulombs, Amps, Volts, Watts.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculated the coulombs that this battery produces in one hour. That turned out to be 250amp-hours X 3600seconds= 900,000.

Is this the furthest that I can get?? I am really stumped because I thought I could get more than just the number of coulombs. I tried finding out how many electrons pass through (2.25x10^22) but it seems like I cannot learn joules or voltage by knowing how many total electrons a battery is capable of dispensing.

I guess my problem is that I am equating the total number of electrons as a sort of total amount of energy. This is wrong?:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation has the right dimensions and is correct. But the 3600 is not seconds, it's just a number to convert the hours to seconds.

Amp-hours is charge because amp=Coulomb/s.

The rating of a car battery in amp-hours indicates the amount of charge that can be drawn from the battery, not the amount of energy, power, voltage or current. Amp-hours is a unit of charge, specifically the amount of charge that flows in one hour at a steady rate of one ampere. This value is useful for determining the capacity of a battery, as it tells us how long the battery can provide a certain amount of current before it needs to be recharged. However, to calculate the energy or power that the battery can provide, we would also need to know the voltage. Voltage is a measure of the potential difference between two points, and it is necessary to take into account when calculating energy and power. To find the energy or power of a battery, you would need to multiply the voltage by the charge (in coulombs) or the current (in amps). So, while knowing the total number of electrons in a battery may not directly give you the energy or power, it is an important factor in calculating these values.

1. What is the difference between Coulombs and Amps?

Coulombs and Amps are both units of electric current, but they measure different aspects of it. Coulombs (C) measure the total amount of electric charge, while Amps (A) measure the rate at which the charge flows past a point in a circuit.

2. How are Volts and Watts related?

Volts (V) and Watts (W) are both units of electrical potential or energy. Volts measure the amount of potential energy per unit of electric charge, while Watts measure the rate at which energy is being transferred or used. In other words, Watts = Volts x Amps.

3. Why do we use Watts instead of Amps or Volts?

Watts are a more practical unit to use when dealing with electrical power because they take into account both the voltage and current of a circuit. This allows us to easily compare the power output of different devices and circuits, regardless of their individual voltage and current levels.

4. What is the relationship between Coulombs and Watts?

There is no direct relationship between Coulombs and Watts, as they are measuring different aspects of electricity. However, Watts can be calculated by multiplying Volts and Amps, which in turn can be calculated from Coulombs and time. So, the relationship between Coulombs and Watts is indirect.

5. How do I convert between Coulombs, Amps, Volts, and Watts?

To convert between these units, you can use the following formulas:
1 Coulomb = 1 Amp x 1 second
1 Volt = 1 Joule / 1 Coulomb
1 Watt = 1 Joule / 1 second