Creating a Rube Goldberg Machine with Levers and Pulleys

• Thread starter physicsfreak510
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, you should make a simple machine that uses levers and pulleys to do something cool. You can find online videos to help you make one.
physicsfreak510
hey everybody, I have a project due in a couple weeks, and I have to make a Rube Goldberg machine. can someone give me tips on how to make a simple one? it has to include levers and pulleys.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you want this machine to accomplish? Levers and pulleys, is that ALL? I think you need to decide on at least what you want your machine to accomplish, and then work from there.

there are some cool videos online to give you an idea of what you can do.

I think you should make a machine like in family guy that "makes breakfast":biggrin:

Here are a few links to videos(video links contain no foul language or innapropriate images):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2367646121273499414&q=rube+goldberg&hl=en

Last edited by a moderator:
oh,i forgot to include wheels and axles, inclined planes, wedges, and screws

physicsfreak510 said:
can someone give me tips on how to make a simple one?

If it's simple, it isn't a Rube Goldberg device. That's the whole point.

Allright, i have everything except the screw. can someone give me an idea about what to do with a screw? I am trying to dunk a cookie into a glass of milk.

i saw this dispenser for cereal where you turned a handle, and it rotated a screw. The screw would move the cereal forward in it's threads and drop it out of an opening (does this make any sense??)maybe use something like this, except it could be powered by a water wheel or something like that

If you have a bunch of screws together on a slightly inclined plane, you can have something hit the head of the first screw. That screw would circle around down the plane and hit the second screw, and it would be like a domino effect. The last screw could then do something cool, like hit two metal stubs to activate a battery which powers a fan to continue.

I wish I had fun assignments like this in my school!

1. How do you start building a Rube Goldberg machine with levers and pulleys?

To begin, you will need to brainstorm and plan out your machine. Decide on a specific task or action you want your machine to accomplish, and then design each step to help achieve that goal. Make sure to include levers and pulleys in your design, and consider how they will work together in your machine.

2. What materials are needed to create a Rube Goldberg machine with levers and pulleys?

You will need a variety of materials such as wooden boards, cans, marbles, string, pulleys, and other household items. It's important to be creative and use objects that you already have on hand to keep costs low. You may also want to consider using a Rube Goldberg machine kit, which includes pre-made pulleys and levers for easier assembly.

3. How do you ensure that the levers and pulleys in your machine work properly?

It's important to make sure that your levers and pulleys are properly balanced and aligned. This can be achieved by testing each individual component before connecting them together. You may also need to make adjustments as you build to ensure that everything moves smoothly and efficiently.

4. Can you incorporate electricity into a Rube Goldberg machine with levers and pulleys?

Yes, you can use electricity to power certain parts of your machine. For example, you can use a motor to turn a pulley or a switch to activate a lever. However, it's important to remember that the main focus of a Rube Goldberg machine is to use a series of chain reactions, so try to limit the use of electricity to only a few key components.

5. How can you make your Rube Goldberg machine with levers and pulleys more challenging or complex?

There are several ways to make your machine more challenging or complex. You can add more steps or incorporate multiple levers and pulleys to make the chain reaction longer. You can also try to make the machine run without any human intervention, only using gravity and mechanical energy to power the entire process. Experiment and have fun with different designs to see what works best for you!