Maths degree in less than 3 years?

In summary, it is possible to get a Maths degree in, say, 2 years, provided you have taken a number of credits in that subject in high school. However, it is not easy and would require a lot of effort.
s999
Is it possible to get a Maths degree in, say, 2 years? Or less? Or a joint Maths degree with another subject (eg language)?

Are there any institutions in the UK or US which allow you to do this? When do they enrol?

I will explain why I'm asking later but thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you were in high-school and had access to college courses before you enrolled in college, it could be possible to attempt such a feat; of course you would need to take an outstanding number of credits (near 20+ credits a term at a quater system university).

Consistering you need about 180 credits, with about 72 of them being upper division, it would be very difficult to do, but it would be feisible...assuming that all of the classes you would need to graduate were offered during the same time.

At some universities (like mine), prereqs may be waived if the prereq is taken co-currently with the course.

--------

So feasibly it could be done. But would you really be able to absorb all of that information and obtain a degree you are confortable with; I have my doubts.

Back when I took differential geometry my sophomore year, there was a kid in my class who was a senior in high school. Apparently he had taken the entire calculus sequence before even graduating, and was taking upper division classes. This guy could have completed his math degree in two years, if he worked at it. High schools seem to offer advanced math courses more than any other advanced subject, usually by paying for their students to attend college through the post-secondary enrollment option program. So if you could get your generals out of the way in two years of college, while taking a few math courses, yes you could get a math degree in two years. But why would you want to? Seems a bit masochistic to me...

I am graduating with my BS in Applied Maths and Statistics (double major) this spring; I graduated from secondary school in 2005.
Yes, it is possible in exceptional situation (does not imply good).

1. What are the benefits of completing a Maths degree in less than 3 years?

Completing a Maths degree in less than 3 years allows students to enter the workforce sooner and start earning a higher salary. It also saves time and money on tuition fees and living expenses.

2. Is it possible to complete a Maths degree in less than 3 years without compromising the quality of education?

Yes, it is possible to complete a Maths degree in less than 3 years without compromising the quality of education. Universities offer accelerated programs or credit for prior learning to help students complete their degree in a shorter amount of time.

3. Are there any prerequisites for completing a Maths degree in less than 3 years?

Most universities require students to have a strong background in math and science subjects, such as calculus, algebra, and physics, to be eligible for an accelerated Maths degree program.

4. Can I still pursue a career in a different field after completing a Maths degree in less than 3 years?

Yes, a Maths degree can open doors to various career options in fields such as finance, data science, computer programming, and engineering. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills acquired during a Maths degree are highly valued in many industries.

5. What strategies can I use to successfully complete a Maths degree in less than 3 years?

To successfully complete a Maths degree in less than 3 years, students should prioritize their coursework, attend all lectures and tutorials, seek help from professors and peers when needed, and create a study schedule. It is also essential to stay organized, manage time effectively, and maintain a healthy work-life balance.