Snell's Law lake light problem

In summary, at an angle of incidence of 60.0º, the horizontal distance between the point where the light enters the water and the point where it strikes the lake's bottom is 1.63 m.
elitespart
1. Depth of a lake is 1637m. If a beam of light with an angle of incidence of 60.0º enters the water from the air, what is the horizontal distance between the point where the light enters the water and the point where it strikes the lake's bottom?

2. Snell's Law: ni(sin Өi) = nr(sin Өr)

3. I'm really lost on this one. I know the angle of incidence and index of refracion is 1(?) How do I go about getting horizontal distance. Is there some equation that I'm not considering? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you calculate the angle of refraction?

you need to work out [tex]\theta_r[/tex] from the [tex]n_i, n_r ,\theta_i[/tex], then use trig to work out horizontal displacement

Werg22 said:
Can you calculate the angle of refraction?
Yeah, it's 40.5º.OK that helps. But I forgot the trig part of it. Can someone jog my memory? Is it tan(40.5 x 1637)

Last edited:
You can construct a triangle with the angle of refraction, the height of the lake and the horizontal distance now, can't you?

Yeah man I can. So, I'm getting 1.63 m for an answer. Right...wrong?

Hummm wrong. Look. The refraction angle is measured from the normal line. The normal goes from the surface of lake to the bottom. The length is 1637. Now look at this triangle......../|
....../..|
......../__.|

See the right side? This is the height. The bottom side is the horizontal distance and the angle between the left and the right side is the refraction angle. Now you use trigonometry to get the horizontal distance.

tan 40.5 = x/depth of lake ( perpendicular by base)

now calculate x by putting value of tan40.5

Yeah that's what I did. I'm probably just screwing up in the math somewhere. So the angle of refraction is 40.5. The horizontal is opposite to it and the adjacent is 1637 m. So it'd be tan (40.5) = x / 1637. Now don't I just solve for x?

Answer = 1398.13 m

They are askin for distance between point of incidence and point of emergence (in ur case its bottom of the lake) . just draw a perpendicular at the incidence wrt the interface

oo damn I got that. Thought it was wrong. Alrite thanks bro. Appreciate it.

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law, also known as the law of refraction, describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when a light ray passes through a boundary between two different materials, such as air and water.

2. How does Snell's Law relate to the lake light problem?

The lake light problem involves a light ray passing from air into water at an angle. Snell's Law helps us calculate the angle at which the light ray will bend as it travels through the water.

3. What are the variables in Snell's Law?

The variables in Snell's Law are the angles of incidence and refraction (i and r) and the refractive indices of the two materials (n1 and n2).

4. How can I solve the lake light problem using Snell's Law?

To solve the lake light problem, you will need to know the angle of incidence and the refractive indices of air and water. Then, use Snell's Law (n1sin(i) = n2sin(r)) to calculate the angle of refraction.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Snell's Law and the lake light problem?

Yes, Snell's Law has many real-world applications, including understanding the bending of light in lenses and the formation of rainbows. The lake light problem also has practical applications, such as in designing underwater cameras or studying the behavior of light in different bodies of water.