Need help with Fourier transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving Poisson's equation by taking the Fourier transform and using a three-dimensional analog of the convolution theorem. Part a involves taking the Fourier transform of both sides and solving for the Fourier transform of \psi(\vec{r}). The equations used include the Fourier transformation and \bigtriangledown^2 \psi(\vec{r}) = \frac{- \rho (\vec{r})}{\epsilon_0}. The output from part a is \Psi (\vec{k}) = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0 \vec{k}^2} P (\vec{k}).
ultimateguy

Homework Statement

Solve Poisson's equation, [tex]\bigtriangledown^2 \psi(\vec{r}) = \frac{- \rho (\vec{r})}{\epsilon_0}[/tex], by the following sequence of operations:

a) Take the Fourier transform of both sides of this equation. Solve for the Fourier transform of [tex]\psi(\vec{r})[/tex].
b) Carry out the inverse transform by using a three-dimensional analog of the convolution theorem.

Homework Equations

Fourier transformation

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm working on part a. I understand how to do a Fourier transform, but not so much in 3D. This is my work, I just want to make sure that I've done part a correctly so that I can move on to part b.

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2 \psi(\vec{r}) = \frac{- \rho (\vec{r})}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{-\vec{k}^2}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int^\infty_{-\infty} \psi(\vec{r}) e^{i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r}} d\vec{r} = \frac{-1}{\epsilon_0 \sqrt{2\pi}} \int^\infty_{-\infty} \rho (\vec{r}) e^{i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{r}} d\vec{r}[/tex]
[tex]-\vec{k}^2 \Psi(\vec{k}) = \frac{-1}{\epsilon_0} P(\vec{k})[/tex]
[tex] \Psi (\vec{k}) = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0 \vec{k}^2} P (\vec{k})[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
seems ok...

1. What is a Fourier transformation?

A Fourier transformation is a mathematical tool that decomposes a function into its individual frequency components. It takes a function in the time domain and converts it into a function in the frequency domain.

2. Why is Fourier transformation important?

Fourier transformation is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the frequency components of a function. This is useful in a variety of fields, including signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics.

3. How is Fourier transformation calculated?

Fourier transformation is calculated using a mathematical formula, which involves taking the integral of the function over a specified interval. This can be done manually, but is often done using computer software or calculators.

4. What are some applications of Fourier transformation?

Fourier transformation has many applications, including image and sound processing, data compression, and solving differential equations. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, biology, and economics.

5. What are the limitations of Fourier transformation?

One limitation of Fourier transformation is that it assumes the function being analyzed is periodic. It also cannot accurately analyze functions with sharp discontinuities or infinite spikes. Additionally, it may be difficult to interpret the results of a Fourier transformation if the function has a complex frequency spectrum.