A Playground Slide and Some Friction

In summary, the conversation is about finding the acceleration of a child going down a playground slide at an angle of 28.0° below the horizontal. The formula used is F-fk = ma, where m is mass, g is gravity, and Mk is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the child and the slide. After some calculations, the correct formula is a = (9.8sin28) - (9.8 x .415 cos28), giving an acceleration of approximately 4.2343.
ccgrad05x2
A child goes down a playground slide that is inclined at an angle of 28.0° below the horizontal. Find the acceleration of the child given that the coefficient of kinetic friction between the child and the slide is 0.415

Heres what I have so Far:
F - fk = ma
mgsin0 - MkN = ma
mgsin0 - Mkmgcos0 = ma
gsin0 - mkcos0 = a

so by this,

a = 9.8sin28 - .415cos28
= 4.2343

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong here

thanks friends

Physics news on Phys.org
a = 9.8sin28 - .415cos28

There should be a g in there. You dropped it somewhere along the way.

So, just because it is my last submission on this problem the answer should then be:

a = (9.8sin28) - (9.8 x .415 cos28)

such a stupid mistake...thanks

Seems reasonable to me.

What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. It is caused by the roughness of surfaces and can slow down or stop the movement of an object.

How does friction affect a playground slide?

Friction on a playground slide can affect the speed at which someone goes down the slide. A slide with more friction will slow down the person's descent, while a slide with less friction will allow them to go faster.

Why do some playground slides have bumps or ridges?

Bumps or ridges on a playground slide are often added to increase the amount of friction. This can help slow down the person going down the slide and make it safer.

How does the material of a slide affect friction?

The material of a slide can greatly impact the amount of friction. For example, a metal slide will typically have more friction than a plastic slide, as metal is a rougher surface.

Can friction be reduced on a playground slide?

Yes, friction can be reduced on a playground slide by using a smoother material or adding a lubricant, such as water or oil, to the surface. This will decrease the amount of friction and allow for a faster descent down the slide.