Ozone Pollution: What You Need to Know

• Thread starter LightbulbSun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ozone
In summary: I was a little confused with the explanation because it sounded like the O3 in the upper layer was staying in place, but we make extra O3 mostly thru eltric devices and some chemical reactions.The creation of O3 in stratosphere is different from creation of O3 in troposphere. O3 is highly reactive and toxic gas and is considered therefore a polutant in the troposphere where we live. However, tropospheric O3 can be quite involved and it mainly depends on NO (nitric oxide) concentration and also tied to hydroxil chemistry.
LightbulbSun
Ok, my area today had an air stagnation advisory, but I was a little confused with the following when reading the explanation in the advisory:

AIR QUALITY LEVELS IN OUTDOOR AIR ARE PREDICTED TO BE GREATER
THAN AN AIR QUALITY INDEX VALUE OF 100 FOR THE POLLUTANT OF
OZONE.

Can someone give me an explanation on the 'pollutant of ozone'?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Isn't it that people don't like too much ozone at ground level to breathe?

ozone is O_3, and exists naturally in the ozone layer of the atmosphere. I don't know how it gets made on Earth (or if it just comes down somehow) but I'm pretty sure there's some ionization machines that accidentally make O_3 (if it wasn't an urban myth).

Pythagorean said:
ozone is O_3, and exists naturally in the ozone layer of the atmosphere. I don't know how it gets made on Earth (or if it just comes down somehow) but I'm pretty sure there's some ionization machines that accidentally make O_3 (if it wasn't an urban myth).

I think the O3 in the upper layer stays in place mostly
we make extra O3 mostly thru eltric devices and some chemical reactions
high up it is a sheild, and good and needed
down at near ground level a pollutant, health hazzerd, and unwanted

the ionic air cleaners do make some
link on indoor air ionization

http://www.ilo.org/encyclopedia/?doc&nd=857100213&nh=0 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Tropospheric ozone forms when manmade pollutants (nitrogen oxide, nitrogen dioxide, unburned hydrocarbons, ...) react with oxygen and sunlight. Ozone, when breathed, causes lung damage.

O3 is very important in gas in stratosphere for well known reasons.
The creation of O3 in stratosphere is different from creation of O3 in troposphere. O3 is highly reactive and toxic gas and is considered therefore a polutant in the troposphere where we live.

The chemistry of tropospheric O3 can be quite involved but it mainly it creation or destruction is dependent on NO (nitric oxide) concentration and also tied to hydroxil chemistry.

this is for more detailed explanation: "www-personal.umich.edu/~sillman/Sillman-webOZONE.pdf"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Mk said:
Isn't it that people don't like too much ozone at ground level to breathe?
D H said:
Tropospheric ozone forms when manmade pollutants (nitrogen oxide, nitrogen dioxide, unburned hydrocarbons, ...) react with oxygen and sunlight. Ozone, when breathed, causes lung damage.
Ahhah! So I win! :smile:

1. What is ozone pollution?

Ozone pollution, also known as smog, is a type of air pollution caused by the presence of high levels of ozone gas in the Earth's atmosphere. Ozone is a colorless gas that is formed when pollutants from vehicles, factories, and other sources react with sunlight.

2. How does ozone pollution affect human health?

Ozone pollution can have serious effects on human health, especially for those with respiratory conditions such as asthma. It can cause coughing, throat irritation, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Prolonged exposure to high levels of ozone can also lead to permanent lung damage.

3. What are the main sources of ozone pollution?

The main sources of ozone pollution include vehicle exhaust, industrial emissions, and chemical solvents. These pollutants react with sunlight and heat to form ozone. Natural sources, such as wildfires and lightning, can also contribute to ozone pollution.

4. What are the environmental impacts of ozone pollution?

Ozone pollution can harm plants and ecosystems by reducing plant growth and damaging leaves. It can also contribute to the formation of acid rain, which can harm forests and bodies of water. Ozone pollution can also have a negative impact on air quality and contribute to climate change.

5. How can we reduce ozone pollution?

There are several ways to reduce ozone pollution, including using public transportation or carpooling, avoiding the use of gas-powered lawn equipment, and limiting the use of chemical solvents. Additionally, stricter regulations on industrial emissions and promoting the use of clean energy sources can help reduce ozone pollution levels.