Acid-Base System: Identify Bases & Weaker Acid

• Thread starter Styx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the acid-base system discussed favors the formation of products, with B- and X- competing for protons. B- is the stronger base, while HB is the weaker acid. The K value for this system is large, indicating a strong favor towards product formation. The addition of the soluble salt NaB will shift the equilibrium to the left, increasing the reverse reaction and ultimately requiring more HX to be produced to reach equilibrium again. This can be compared to someone picking out apple slices from pies, where adding more slices will require more pies to be made to reach equilibrium.
Styx
The formation of products is strongly favoured in this acid-base system:
[tex]HX + B^- \rightleftharpoons HB + X^-[/tex]

a) Identify the bases competing for protons
b) Which base is stronger?
c) Which is the weaker acid, HX or HB?
d) Does the K for this system have a large or small value?
e) How is the equilibrium affected by the addition of the soluble salt NaB?

I chose:

a) B- and X-
b) B- is the stronger base as it readily accepts protons
c) HB is the weaker acid as HX more readily donates protons
d) large. Since the system strongly favours the formation of product.

e) Now maybe I am wrong but wouldn't adding more B- cause it to react with it to react with X- producing HX which would shift the equilibrium to the left (increase the reverse reaction)? Does that sound right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lets say you make apple pies and i like to pick out the apple slices from the pies. if i pick out the slices at the same rate you make the pies, we're at equilibrium. let's say someone gives me a bunch of apple slices. will you have to make more pies to attain equilibrium once more, or will i have to pick out more apple slices?

does this make sense?

Yes, suddenly I'm hungry for apple pie...

I never knew chemistry could taste so good!

Thanks gradeaswimr, makes sense to me.

1. What is an acid-base system?

An acid-base system is a chemical system in which there are substances that can donate protons (acids) and substances that can accept protons (bases). These substances react with each other to form products with different levels of acidity or basicity.

2. How do you identify bases in an acid-base system?

Bases can be identified by their ability to accept protons. They often have a hydroxide ion (OH-) in their chemical formula, or they can react with water to produce hydroxide ions. Bases also tend to have a bitter taste and feel slippery to the touch.

3. What is a weaker acid in an acid-base system?

A weaker acid is an acid that is less likely to donate protons compared to other acids in the same chemical system. This can be due to its chemical structure or the strength of its bonds. A weaker acid will have a higher pH level and be less reactive than a stronger acid.

4. How do you determine the strength of an acid or base in an acid-base system?

The strength of an acid or base can be determined by its pH level. A lower pH indicates a stronger acid, while a higher pH indicates a stronger base. The strength of an acid or base can also be determined by its dissociation constant (Ka or Kb), which measures the extent to which the substance dissociates in water.

5. How does an acid-base system affect the pH of a solution?

An acid-base system can affect the pH of a solution by either increasing or decreasing it. Acids will lower the pH by donating protons, while bases will increase the pH by accepting protons. The strength of the acid or base will determine how much the pH will change. A strong acid or base will have a more significant impact on the pH compared to a weak acid or base.