Is K2Cr2O7 more soluble in H2SO4 than water?

• Thread starter jmnew51
  • Start date
In summary, to make Jones reagent, you dissolve equal amounts of K2Cr2O7 and Conc. H2SO4. K2Cr2O7 has a solubility of 4.9 gm/100ml in water, but it may be more soluble in H2SO4. It is possible that in sulfuric acid, chromic acid is produced, but the solubility of chromic acid in sulfuric acid is unknown.
jmnew51
I understand that when making Jones reagent you dissolve X amount of K2Cr2O7 in an equal amount of Conc. H2SO4.

How do you get that much K2Cr2O7 to go into that little H2SO4.

From what I know K2Cr2O7 only has a solubility in water of 4.9 gm/100ml.

Is K2Cr2O7 more soluble in H2SO4 than water?

Thanx for looking.

Jim

Physics news on Phys.org
In water, the chromate salt is sparingly protonated. In sulfuric acid, is chromic acid produced? If so, what is the solubility of chromic acid in sulfuric acid?

I understand what happens now.

Thank You

1. What is Jones Reagent?

Jones Reagent is a solution of chromium trioxide in diluted sulfuric acid. It is a strong oxidizing agent commonly used in organic chemistry reactions.

2. What is the purpose of Jones Reagent?

Jones Reagent is used to oxidize primary and secondary alcohols to corresponding aldehydes and ketones, respectively.

3. How is Jones Reagent prepared?

Jones Reagent is prepared by mixing chromium trioxide with diluted sulfuric acid in a 1:2 ratio. The solution is typically used immediately after preparation.

4. What are the safety precautions when working with Jones Reagent?

Jones Reagent is a strong oxidizing agent and can cause severe burns on contact with skin and eyes. It should be handled with caution and proper protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn.

5. Can Jones Reagent be stored for future use?

No, Jones Reagent should be used immediately after preparation. It is not stable and can decompose over time, leading to decreased effectiveness in reactions.