Enthelpy and heat transfer problem

In summary, the question is asking about the change in heat when 45 grams of CH3OH is decomposed by a reaction at constant pressure. The answer is that the change in heat is 90.7 kcal/mol. Additionally, for part c, the equation delta H = q/n can be used to find the number of moles used in the reaction.
Jenn
THe question is :

Given the reaction

CH3OH goes to CO + 2H2 Change in heat=90.7
a)endothermic or exothermic?
b)Calculate amount of heat transferred when 45 g. of CH3OH id decomposed by this reaction at constant pressure.
c)For a given sample of CH3OH the enthalpy change on reaction is 18.5kJ. How many grams of hydrogen gas are produced?
d)What is the value of delta H for the reverse of the previous reaction? How many kJ of heat are released when 27 g of CO reacts completely with H2 to form CH3OH at constant pressure?

I can do a and b. I am stuck on c and d. I know for c I need to determine the amount of moles of CH3OH involved in the reaction but am stumped at how to do that.

Same with d. I think I need to determine the amount of CO moles then multipy by the heat involved per mole of the CO from the given reaction. Can't seem to be able to do it though. I know what needs to be done but can't do it!

Physics news on Phys.org
This doesn't mean anything: "Change in heat=90.7"

enthalpy

delta + 90.7 is what it reads in the question

For part c could you use the eqation: delta H = q/n
to find the number of moles used where q is the heat change?

Hope this helps but I am not sure if it will!

Jenn said:
delta + 90.7 is what it reads in the question

'90.7' what? Calories? Joules? Perhaps this is molar enthalpy in kJ/mol?

If so, 'c' can be related to this (in moles) by dividing 18.5 kJ by 90.7 kJ/mol to get # of moles of CH3OH.

for 'd' you can use the same logic.
Hint: CH3OH goes to CO + 2H2 means:

CH3OH + 90.7 kJ ------> CO + 2H2

Notice the relationship to the number of moles of CO and CH3OH?

Last edited:

1. What is enthalpy and how is it related to heat transfer?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, including both its internal energy and the work required to create or maintain its volume. In heat transfer problems, enthalpy is often used to calculate the amount of heat transferred between two objects or systems.

2. What is the difference between convective, conductive, and radiative heat transfer?

Convective heat transfer occurs when heat is transferred through the movement of fluids or gases, such as air or water. Conductive heat transfer occurs when heat is transferred through direct contact between two objects. Radiative heat transfer occurs when heat is transferred through electromagnetic waves, such as from the sun.

3. How is enthalpy affected by changes in temperature and pressure?

Enthalpy is directly proportional to temperature, meaning that as temperature increases, so does enthalpy. Pressure can also affect enthalpy, with higher pressures typically leading to higher enthalpy values.

4. What is the role of specific heat in enthalpy and heat transfer problems?

Specific heat is a measure of how much heat is required to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. It is an important factor in enthalpy and heat transfer problems because it helps determine the amount of heat transferred between two objects or systems.

5. How can enthalpy and heat transfer be calculated in real-world applications?

Enthalpy and heat transfer can be calculated using various equations and formulas, depending on the specific situation and variables involved. In real-world applications, these calculations are often used in fields such as engineering, thermodynamics, and chemistry to design and improve systems and processes involving heat transfer.