Steffan-Boltzmann's Equation: Epsilon Sigma T^4

• Thread starter jairusgarcia
  • Start date
In summary, the Steffan-Boltzmann Equation is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that relates the total energy emitted by a blackbody to its temperature. A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs and emits all radiation that falls on it, used to explain the behavior of real objects in thermodynamics and radiative heat transfer. The equation is used in various scientific fields, such as astronomy, climate science, and engineering, to calculate the amount of radiation emitted by objects and understand heat transfer. The significance of the emissivity term in the equation is to represent the efficiency of a blackbody in emitting radiation, with real objects having values between 0 and 1. The equation can also be used for non-blackbody objects by
jairusgarcia
R=[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]\sigma[/tex]T[tex]^{4}[/tex]

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] --> emmisivity
[tex]\sigma[/tex] --> Steffan's constant
T[ --> Temp (in Kelvin)

should i start with steffan-boltzmann's equation (since its the nearest formula)?

thanks... ^_^

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I think that already is the Stefan-Boltzmann law; if you start from it you're done.

There is a derivation here, though generally I always check derivations on Wikipedia before I trust them :smile:

oh... I am sorry. i feel noobish! haha!

Sucks when the answer was staring you right in the face huh?
Don't worry, happens to me all the time :smile:

1. What is the Steffan-Boltzmann Equation?

The Steffan-Boltzmann Equation is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that relates the total energy emitted by a blackbody to its temperature. It is expressed as E = εσT^4, where E is the energy, ε is the emissivity of the blackbody, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, and T is the absolute temperature.

2. What is a blackbody?

A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs and emits all radiation that falls on it. It is a theoretical concept used to explain the behavior of real objects in thermodynamics and radiative heat transfer.

3. How is the Steffan-Boltzmann Equation used in science?

The Steffan-Boltzmann Equation is used in many areas of science, including astronomy, climate science, and engineering. It is used to calculate the amount of radiation emitted by objects, such as stars and planets, and to understand the transfer of heat in different systems.

4. What is the significance of the emissivity term in the Steffan-Boltzmann Equation?

The emissivity term, ε, in the Steffan-Boltzmann Equation represents the efficiency of a blackbody in emitting radiation. It ranges from 0 to 1, with 1 being a perfect blackbody. Real objects have emissivity values between 0 and 1, depending on their material and surface properties.

5. Can the Steffan-Boltzmann Equation be used for non-blackbody objects?

Yes, the Steffan-Boltzmann Equation can be used for non-blackbody objects by incorporating the emissivity term. This allows for a more accurate calculation of the total energy emitted by these objects, taking into account their surface properties. However, the equation is most accurate for objects that behave like ideal blackbodies.