Careers & Jobs with Physics & Travel - Advice for Luke

• Thread starter Luke*
  • Start date
In summary, Luke is asking for guidance on careers that involve traveling and involve physics. He mentions that his dad suggested physics engineering as a way to travel the world, and he is wondering if anyone has any specific career suggestions. Another user suggests engineering as the most direct path into a career, but also mentions that many companies hire physicists for technical and project management roles. They suggest looking into companies like Schlumberger for examples of these types of careers. The user also mentions that while the pay for physicists may not be fantastic, it is still decent, especially for senior engineers. Another user suggests considering an academic career in high energy astrophysics as a way to travel, as there are often opportunities for collaboration meetings and conferences in various locations around the
Luke*
I don't know if this is appropriate here. But I just choose my GCSE options and they are 3rd science, geography and history, because they are my favourite. I am most interested in physics and want to travel alot. My dad is a Chief Electrician on a oil rig and said a good thing to do might be to do some sort of physics engineering and if I go with the right company could travel the world. Now I don't know if that made sense, but in my head it did. I was wondering if anyone could guide me on any specific careers or jobs which would include me traveling a lot and involve physics? It would be greatly appreciated.

Luke.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for double post, but if anyone does know, could you also post around what type of pay there would be. Just a curiosity.

Luke.

Physics underlies a lot of engineering but if you want to go into engineering you might want to do an engineering degree. This is the most guaranteed direct path into a career.

However, lots of companies hire physicists as general technical / project managers because they assume that physicists are fairly bright and can understand problems in a range of technical areas.
Another option is to work for a technical consultancy where you will travel and work in lots of different industries trying to find solutions to their problems.
Look at someone like Schlumberger (http://www.slb.com/) for an example of the range of careers.

Most pay for physicsts isn't fantastic but you won't starve. A senior engineer, especially on something like a rig, will earn more.

Hey, thanks a lot for your reply, its appreciated. I was thinking of engineering on a rig as every man in my family has worked on a rig except my brother, but his current path looks like he will come across it :)

Do you have any more info or a site on the senior engineer or anything like that, that I may look at?

Thanks

Luke

Hi Luke. I don't know if you were considering an academic career path, but this will also allow you to travel abroad. I just started last May as a graduate student in high energy astrophysics, and there are many opportunities for travel. Collaboration meetings are often held at varying locations around the world, so I will have the opportunity to go to many different places. Departments usually send professors (and their grad students) to conferences as well. So if you like to travel, I think this might be a good career path as well.

1. What types of career options are available for someone interested in physics and travel?

There are a variety of career options available for individuals interested in both physics and travel. Some examples include working as a research scientist at an international laboratory, a consultant for a company that specializes in physics-related technology, or a physics teacher at an international school.

2. How can I combine my love for physics and travel in my job search?

One way to combine your love for physics and travel is to look for jobs in the field of geophysics, which involves studying the physical properties of the earth and often requires travel for fieldwork. Other options include working for a company that specializes in renewable energy technology or pursuing a career in space exploration.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in physics and travel?

Some key skills that are necessary for a career in physics and travel include strong problem-solving abilities, proficiency in mathematics and computer programming, excellent communication skills, and a willingness to adapt to new environments and cultures.

4. Are there any specific countries or regions that offer more opportunities for physics and travel careers?

Many countries around the world offer opportunities for careers in physics and travel. Some popular options include the United States, Switzerland, Germany, and Japan, which are home to world-renowned research institutions and laboratories.

5. What advice do you have for someone interested in pursuing a career in physics and travel?

My advice would be to gain a solid foundation in physics through education and hands-on experience, while also cultivating a passion for travel and cultural immersion. It is also important to network and stay updated on job opportunities in the field, and to be open to taking on new challenges and opportunities for growth.