Understanding the Complex Number r in z=re^{i\theta}

In summary, the phase of a complex number is represented as z=re^{i\theta}, where r is the distance from the origin and \theta is the angle formed with the positive x-axis. For a complex number x+iy, r can be found using the formula r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} and \theta can be found using the formula \theta=arctan(y/x). In more complicated examples, the exponent is the imaginary part and the base is real, making it easy to visualize as a point in the complex plane described in polar coordinates.
Oblio
The phase of a complex number is z=re[tex]^{i\theta}[/tex]

This first example is a simple z=1+i, but where does the r come from for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The "r" is the distance from the origin. Thus, [tex]z=re^{i\psi} [/tex]
[tex]z= r (cos(\psi)+i sin (\psi) ) [/tex].
Hence, for [tex]z=1+i[/tex], [tex] r= \sqrt{1^2 + 1^2}= \sqrt{2} [/tex].

Last edited:
bel said:
The "r" is the distance from the origin. Thus, [tex]z=re^{i\psi} [/tex]
[tex]z= r (cos(\psi)+i sin (\psi) ) [/tex].
Hence, for [tex]z=1+i[/tex], [tex] r= \sqrt{1^2 + 1^2}= \sqrt{2} [/tex].

If it was 1+4i

Would it be:
[tex] r= \sqrt{1^2 + 4^2} [/tex]?

Oblio said:
If it was 1+4i

Would it be:
[tex] r= \sqrt{1^2 + 4^2} [/tex]?

yeah, that's right.

Is a reasonable answer for this phase then:
/sqrt{2}e ^i(theta) ?

since its just 'i' and no angle is given

Oblio said:
Is a reasonable answer for this phase then:
/sqrt{2}e ^i(theta) ?

wait... phase usually refers to the angle... what exactly does the question ask you to find?

from your original post:

"The phase of a complex number is z=re[tex]^{i\theta}[/tex]"

that doesn't seem right... did you write this out word for word?

learningphysics said:
wait... phase usually refers to the angle... what exactly does the question ask you to find?

from your original post:

"The phase of a complex number is z=re[tex]^{i\theta}[/tex]"

that doesn't seem right... did you write this out word for word?

No, phase is just the angle but there doesn't seem to be any angle so.. yeah...
exact words are: phase is the value of theta when z is expressed as z=re^i(theta).

Can you find an angle with just 1+i ?

Oblio said:
No, phase is just the angle but there doesn't seem to be any angle so.. yeah...
exact words are: phase is the value of theta when z is expressed as z=re^i(theta).

Can you find an angle with just 1+i ?

yes, you can. arctan(1/1). Draw the point on the complex plane... the x-coordinate is the real... y-coordinate is the complex part... what angle does the line from the origin to the point make with the positive x-axis...

That's the angle you need.

No, for any complex number, both r and [itex]\theta[/itex] are both given. Your original question was about r only, that's why nothing was said about [itex]\theta[/itex].

In the "complex plane" or Argand diagram, any complex number x+ iy can be associated with the point (x,y). [itex]r (cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))= re^{i\theta}[/itex] is just that point given in polar coordinates. Since [itex]x^2+ y^2= r^2 cos^2(theta)+ r^2 sin^2(\theta)= r^2[/itex], [itex]r= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex]. Since [itex]y/x= r^2 sin^2(\theta)/[r^2 cos^2(\theta)= tan(\theta)[/itex], [itex]\theta= arctan(y/x)[/itex].

In your first example, 1+i, [itex]r= \sqrt{1^2+ 1^2}= \sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]\theta= arctan(1/1)= arctan(1)= \pi/4[/itex].

In your second example, 1+ 4i, [itex]r= \sqrt{1^2+ 4^2}= \sqrt{17}[/itex] and [itex]\theta= arctan(4/1)= arectan(4)= 1.3 radians approximately.

Am puzzled by your saying "The phase of a complex number is [itex]z=re^{i\theta}[/itex]. Normally the "phase" is given as an angle. I would have thought the "phase" of the number [itex]x+ iy= r e^{i\theta}[/itex] would be just [itex]\theta[/itex].

ahhh, 1 and 1 is a 45 degrees.

when looking at a more complicated one like sqrt[2e] ^ -i(pi)/4
is the entire exponent my imaginery part?
and the base is real?

when theyre like this, all hope of visualizing it is gone.

Oblio said:
when looking at a more complicated one like sqrt[2e] ^ -i(pi)/4
is the entire exponent my imaginery part?
and the base is real?

The e is inside the square root?

hmm
the books a little iffy..

I'll say no its not actually.

They're very easy to visualize, it's just like a point in the plane described in polar coordinates.

In your last example, sqrt(2) is the distance from the origin to the point in the plane and -pi/4 is the angle (in radians) starting from the real axis (or the x-axis in the analogy).

Oblio said:
hmm
the books a little iffy..

I'll say no its not actually.

Then it shouldn't be hard to visualize... r = sqrt(2). theta = -pi/4

lol yeah but its sqrt[2] multiplied by e and raised to -i(pi)/4 ! :P

Am I correct in saying the exponent is imaginery?

1. What is the meaning of "z=re^{i\theta}"?

The expression "z=re^{i\theta}" represents a complex number, where r is the magnitude or length of the vector in the complex plane and θ is the angle that the vector makes with the positive real axis.

2. How do I convert a complex number in the form of z=re^{i\theta} to its rectangular form?

To convert a complex number from its polar form to its rectangular form, use the following formula: z = r(cos θ + i sin θ), where r is the magnitude of the complex number and θ is the angle it makes with the positive real axis.

3. Can you explain the concept of a complex number in simple terms?

A complex number is a number that consists of two parts – a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form of a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (b is a real number and i is the imaginary unit, which is equal to √(-1)). The imaginary part allows us to work with numbers that do not exist on the real number line, making complex numbers useful in many areas of mathematics and science.

4. How do I find the modulus (magnitude) of a complex number in the form of z=re^{i\theta}?

The modulus (magnitude) of a complex number z = re^{i\theta} is equal to the value of r, which is the length of the vector in the complex plane. To find the modulus, you can use the Pythagorean theorem: |z| = √(a^2 + b^2), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of z, respectively.

5. What is the significance of the complex number r in z=re^{i\theta}?

The complex number r, also known as the modulus or amplitude, represents the magnitude or length of the vector in the complex plane. It is a measure of the distance of the complex number from the origin (0,0) and is used in various calculations involving complex numbers, such as finding the magnitude, converting between polar and rectangular forms, and performing operations like addition, subtraction, and multiplication.