Should I Pursue Math After BSc in Physics?

• Thread starter yoyo100
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is a soon-to-be graduate with a BSc. in physics but has lost interest in the subject. They have recently discovered a passion for math and are considering taking advanced math classes after graduation. They are concerned about potentially wasting time and money by pursuing math instead of getting job experience. They are seeking advice from others who have been in a similar situation.
yoyo100
I just wanted some advice about my situation:

I will soon graduate with a BSc. in physics after 4 years of undergraduate eduacation. However, for the past few years I have increasingly been losing interest in the subject. There is no topic that really excites me. Nonetheless, I have continued on with my undergraduate studies since I have been doing very well grade wise.

Recently, I have been enjoying solving math problems and proving things. I have perused more advanced (than what I am used to) topics such as advanced algebra and analysis which both seem very interesting. In fact, after some reflection, I have started to realize that what drew me to physics in the first place was the use of equations and numbers as well as proof. The more I think about it, the more interested I get in math. I have obviously taken math classes for my physics degree, but they were mostly exercise rather than proof based (Stewart for calculus, etc.) I am now starting to think about taking action and taking some advanced math classes for math majors after I finish my degree.

My concern is that if I continue with undergraduate studies (beyond the usual 4 years), then I will be wasting valuable time which could be spent getting job experience, etc. Furthermore, I feel that if I change directions now then it will be kind of like admitting that the past four years have been a big waste of time and money. Should someone in my situation pursue his interest in studying math or is the whole idea simply just a silly diversion.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice or comments from people (particularly someone who was in a similar situation realizing a passion for mathematics late in his/her education and took action on it) would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the only reason you should switch is if you're looking to go onto graduate studies in maths. However, from the sounds of your post, you are looking to get a job, and so it won't matter whether you have a maths or physics degree.

As a scientist with a background in physics, I can understand your situation and the dilemma you are facing. It is completely normal to have a shift in interests and passions during your undergraduate studies. In fact, it is quite common for students to discover new passions and interests as they progress through their education.

Based on your description, it seems like you have a genuine interest in mathematics and enjoy solving math problems and proving things. This is a very important aspect of being a successful mathematician. If you have a strong passion for math, then pursuing it further after your BSc in physics may be a good decision for you.

Firstly, I would suggest exploring your options and researching the job market for mathematicians. There are many career paths that require a strong background in math, such as data analysis, finance, and computer science. This will give you an idea of the job opportunities available and help you make an informed decision.

Secondly, taking advanced math classes after your undergraduate studies can only enhance your skills and knowledge. It will also give you a better understanding of the subject and help you determine if this is the right path for you. It is never a waste of time to pursue your passions and interests, and in the long run, it will benefit you both personally and professionally.

Lastly, changing directions and pursuing a different field does not mean that your past four years have been a waste. The skills and knowledge you have gained in physics will still be valuable and can be applied in many other fields. In fact, having a diverse background in both physics and math can make you a well-rounded and desirable candidate for many job opportunities.

In conclusion, I would encourage you to follow your passion for math and explore the possibilities that it offers. It is never too late to make a change and pursue what truly interests you. It may not be an easy decision, but it is important to listen to your interests and passions in order to have a fulfilling and successful career. I wish you all the best in your decision-making process.

1. Should I pursue a career in math after obtaining a Bachelor's degree in Physics?

It ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. Math and physics are closely related fields, so having a background in both can be beneficial. However, if you have a strong passion for math and want to pursue a career in that field, it may be worth considering pursuing a graduate degree in mathematics.

2. Will a degree in math after a BSc in Physics make me more employable?

Having a degree in mathematics can make you more employable in certain fields, such as finance, data analysis, and computer science. However, it may not necessarily make you more employable in other fields, such as research in physics. It's important to research and understand the job market in your desired field before making a decision.

3. Will I have to start over if I pursue math after a BSc in Physics?

No, you will not have to start over completely. Many of the courses you took for your BSc in Physics will likely count towards your math degree. However, you may need to take some additional courses to fulfill the requirements for a math degree.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing math after a BSc in Physics?

Pursuing a math degree after a BSc in Physics can open up new career opportunities and allow you to develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts that are often used in physics. It can also enhance your problem-solving skills and make you a more well-rounded and versatile candidate for job opportunities.

5. Are there any disadvantages to pursuing math after a BSc in Physics?

One potential disadvantage could be the time and financial commitment of pursuing another degree. It may also be challenging to switch fields and adapt to a different academic focus. It's important to carefully consider your long-term goals and how a math degree may align with them before making a decision.