Calculate Molarity of Diluted 98% H2SO4 in 500 mL

• Thread starter salman213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dilution
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the molarity of a solution after dilution. The initial solution has a concentration of 98% by weight and a density of 1.84 g/mL, and a volume of 21.75 mL is diluted to 500 mL with a resulting density of 1.09 g/mL. The formula M1V1 = M2V2 is used, where molarity is equal to moles/liters and also equal to grams of solutes divided by the molecular mass multiplied by liters of solution. The conversation also notes that knowing the density of the diluted solution is unnecessary but can be used to check the accuracy of the final result. The calculation provided by the speaker is correct
salman213
1. Concentrated h2so4 solution is 98% by weight and has a density of 1.84% g/mL . A volume of 21.75 mL of this solution was diluted to 500 mL and has a density of 1.09 g/mol. What is the molarity of the resulting solution?

2. M1V1 = M2V2
molarity = moles/litres which is also = grams of solutes / MM x litres of solution

3. Well basically this is my approach but i know I am missing something because I don't even use all the values in the question given

98g/100g x 1.84 g/mL x 1000mL/1L x 1mol/98.03g = M1 = 18.39 M

v1 = 21.75 mL = 0.02175 L

v2 = 500 mL = .5 L

So now i just calculate M2

M1V1=M2V2
but then why is the denisty of the diluted solution given ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is unnecessary. But if you wish, you can also find the final density and see how it compares with the number they gave you. Hopefully, it'll be pretty close.

so what i did was correct?

thats how to find MOLARITY of the resulting solution.

Yes, your calculation will give the correct answer (for final molarity).

1. How do I calculate the molarity of a diluted solution?

To calculate the molarity of a diluted solution, you will need to know the volume of the solution and the moles of solute present. The formula for molarity is M = moles of solute / liters of solution. By plugging in the appropriate values, you can determine the molarity of your diluted solution.

2. What is the formula for calculating molarity?

The formula for molarity is M = moles of solute / liters of solution. This formula is used to calculate the concentration of a solution, which is expressed in moles per liter.

3. What is the molarity of a 98% H2SO4 solution?

The molarity of a 98% H2SO4 solution can vary depending on the density of the solution. However, assuming a density of 1.84 g/mL, a 98% H2SO4 solution would have a molarity of approximately 18.4 M.

4. How do I convert a percentage solution to molarity?

To convert a percentage solution to molarity, you will need to know the density of the solution. Then, you can use the formula M = (percent concentration x density) / molecular weight. This will give you the molarity of the solution in moles per liter.

5. How can I dilute a solution to a desired molarity?

To dilute a solution to a desired molarity, you will need to know the initial molarity of the solution and the desired final molarity. Then, you can use the formula M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the initial molarity, V1 is the initial volume, M2 is the desired final molarity, and V2 is the desired final volume. This will determine the volume of the concentrated solution needed and the volume of solvent (usually water) needed to reach the desired molarity.