Absolute max and absolute min problem

In summary, to find the absolute maximum and minimum values of the given function on the given interval, we first need to differentiate the function and set it equal to 0. This will give us the critical points, which are the only possible locations for the maximum and minimum values. We also need to check the endpoints of the interval to see if they could potentially be the maximum or minimum values. In this case, the critical points are x = 0 and x = 2, and the endpoints are x = 0 and x = 2. By plugging these values into the function, we find that the absolute maximum value is f(0) = 1 and the absolute minimum value is f(1) = 0.
JFonseka

Homework Statement

Find the absolute maximum and absolute minimum values of f(x) = (x - 1)^2/3 on [0,2]. Give reasons for your answer

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I first differentiated the function and got. [tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex]x(x - 1)[tex]^{\frac{-1}{3}}[/tex]

that is to the power of -1/3, not multiplied by.

Then I set that equal to 0, and solved for x, this is where I think I got something going wrong. I got x = 0 as the critical point. If I set it equal to 2, then I get either x = 0 or x = -54, which is of course wrong.

What should I do

Physics news on Phys.org
how did you get x(x-1)? shouldn't it just be 2/3*(x-1)^(-1/3)?

bob1182006 said:
how did you get x(x-1)? shouldn't it just be 2/3*(x-1)^(-1/3)?

Chain rule. You differentiate what is inside the brackets too and then multiply that

yea but d(x-1)/dx=1 o.o

so if you do it the long way with a substitution:

u=x-1

[tex]f(u)=u^{\frac{2}{3}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{df}{du}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{2}{3}u^{\frac{-1}{3}} * 1=\frac{2}{3}(x-1)^{\frac{-1}{3}}[/tex]

Last edited:
bob1182006 said:
yea but d(x-1)/dx=1 o.o

So now we can't find x when f ' (x) = 0 ?

bob1182006 said:
yea but d(x-1)/dx=1 o.o

so if you do it the long way with a substitution:

u=x-1

[tex]f(u)=u^{\frac{2}{3}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=\frac{df}{du}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{2}{3}u^{\frac{-1}{3}} * 1=\frac{2}{3}(x-1)^{\frac{-1}{3}}[/tex]

Yea I get it, I just didn't think too well when I first differentiating it. Thanks for pointing that out though.

you can still find x when f'(x)=0 just that there's only 1 possible option for x.

I got, x = 35/27 as the absolute minimum and x = 0 and 2 as the maximum, this doesn't sound right

Last edited:
how did you get 35/27? and yes check the endpoints are they a max/min?

and just a conceptual question, why can't 1 be a max/min? if you take the limit as x -> 1 it gives a large number but can it be a max/min?

Actually 1 is probably the absolute minimum. not 35/27

I got 35/27 by setting f ' (x) = 1 and therefore

1 = 8/(27x - 27)

x = 35/27

no f'(x)=0 will give you the critical points, but you also consider the end points iff the interval given is closed which is in this case.

also the critical points must be in the domain of f(x) so 1 can't be it. so the endpoints will most likely be the max/min

The maximum and minimum values on a closed and bounded interval (if the interval is not closed or not bounded the function may not have max or min) occur at three kinds of points: in the interior where the derivative is 0, at an end point, in the interior where the derivative does not exist.

As Bob1182006 said, f'(x)= (2/3)(x-1)-1/3 which is never 0. It is, however, undefined at x= 1. The only possible x values for the max and min are x= 0, x= 1, and x= 2. Put those into the function f(x) and see what you get.

Bob1182006, 1 is in the domain of f(x). It just isn't in the domain of f'(x).

It sometimes help to draw a horizontal line putting all the numbers X must be so f'(x) = 0 (or undefined). Then you put some numbers in f(x) like 0 or 2 (numbers on both sides of 1) and see what happens. If you get negative number, the function (f(x)) is decreasing, if it is a positive number the function is increasing

In your case it will look like this.

...... 1

To find the on and only critical point, put 1 into the f(x) equation and see what you get.

Hence, the CP is (x, f(1))

Edit: Don't mind the dots I typed, I couldn't get the "1" to stick right above the zero...

Last edited:

1. What is the absolute max and absolute min problem?

The absolute max and absolute min problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the maximum and minimum values of a function over a given interval. It is commonly used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the highest or lowest possible value of a function.

2. How do you find the absolute max and absolute min of a function?

To find the absolute max and absolute min of a function, you must first find the critical points by taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero. Then, you must evaluate the function at each critical point and the endpoints of the interval. The highest value will be the absolute max and the lowest value will be the absolute min.

3. What is the difference between absolute max and absolute min?

The absolute max is the highest value that a function reaches over a given interval, while the absolute min is the lowest value that the function reaches. In other words, the absolute max is the peak of the function and the absolute min is the bottom of the function.

4. Why is finding the absolute max and absolute min important?

Finding the absolute max and absolute min can be useful in many real-world applications, such as optimizing production or minimizing costs. It can also help in graphing functions and understanding the behavior of a function over a given interval.

5. What are some common methods for solving absolute max and absolute min problems?

There are a few common methods for solving absolute max and absolute min problems, including the first derivative test, the second derivative test, and the closed interval method. Each method has its own advantages and can be used depending on the complexity of the problem.