Question involving some reasoning.

• Thread starter azatkgz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about 50 gangsters shooting each other simultaneously on a field. It is assumed that the gangsters are points on a plane and they do not miss their target. Each gangster shoots the one closest to them, resulting in the minimal number of dead bodies. The question is asked, "What is the minimal number of dead bodies?" The attempt at a solution involves dividing the gangsters into 5 groups and arranging them in a way where only 10 gangsters are killed. The individual proposing this solution is not a mathematician but believes it to be a reasonable answer.
azatkgz

Homework Statement

Fifty gangsters on a field are shooting each other simulteneously.Assume that
i.Gangsters are points on the plane.
ii.Gangsters don't miss,so once he shoots at someone,the target is killed.
iii.Each gangster shoots the one that is closest to him(or any of the closest ones if they are on same distance from him)

What is the minimal number of dead bodies?They shoot each other just once,all fifty at the same moment.Guess the answer and then try to prove it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided 50 gansters to 5 groups.In each group only 2 gansters in the center of circle are dying(see picture).With arrows I showed direction of shooting.So my answer is only 10 gansters.

Attachments

• Gansters.jpg
    Gansters.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no mathematician but it looks good to me.

I would approach this question by first defining the variables and assumptions. The variables in this scenario are the number of gangsters (50), their positions on the plane, and the direction of their shooting. The assumptions are that gangsters do not miss and they shoot at the closest target.

Based on these variables and assumptions, I would use mathematical reasoning to solve the problem. I would start by considering the possible scenarios where the minimum number of dead bodies can occur. One possible scenario is when all gangsters are positioned in a straight line, with each gangster shooting at the gangster directly in front of them. In this scenario, only two gangsters would die.

Next, I would consider the scenario presented in the solution attempt, where the gangsters are divided into 5 groups and only 2 gangsters in each group die. This scenario also results in a minimum of 10 dead bodies. However, I would then explore if there are any other scenarios that could result in an even lower number of dead bodies.

To prove the minimum number of dead bodies, I would use mathematical proofs and logic to show that any other scenario would result in a higher number of dead bodies. This could involve considering the distance between gangsters, the direction of their shooting, and any other variables that could impact the outcome.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I would approach this question by carefully defining the variables and assumptions, considering all possible scenarios, and using mathematical reasoning and proofs to determine the minimum number of dead bodies.

What is the definition of reasoning?

Reasoning is the process of thinking about something in a logical and rational manner in order to form conclusions or judgments.

What are the different types of reasoning?

There are several types of reasoning, including deductive reasoning, inductive reasoning, abductive reasoning, and analogical reasoning.

How is reasoning used in science?

Reasoning is a crucial aspect of the scientific method, as it allows scientists to make logical and evidence-based conclusions about their research findings.

What are the steps to using reasoning in problem-solving?

The steps to using reasoning in problem-solving include identifying the problem, gathering and analyzing relevant information, formulating a hypothesis, testing the hypothesis, and drawing a conclusion based on the evidence.

What are common mistakes in reasoning?

Some common mistakes in reasoning include making assumptions without evidence, relying on personal biases, and using flawed or incomplete logic.