Finding distance with velocity, Uk

In summary, the airplane makes a belly landing at 80km/h with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.60. Using the formula for an incline question, the acceleration was found to be -5.88m/s/s. After plugging this into the second formula and correcting for the initial velocity, the airplane was found to slide a distance of 1.9m on the runway.
habs.fan

Homework Statement

An airplane makes a belly landing at 80km/h (I've converted to 22.22222m/s), the coefficient of kinetic friction between it and the runway is 0.60. How far does the airplane slide on the runway?

Homework Equations

acceleration = [sine(x) - (Uk)(cos(x))] x gravity (I used this formula for an incline question)
V2[tex]^{}2[/tex] = V1[tex]^{}2[/tex] + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the acceleration = sinex ... formula to solve for the acceleration of the airplane, using an angle of 0 because this is the formula I used for an incline question. I found the acceleration was -5.88m/s/s, then plugged that into the second formula, which yielded me a distance of 1.9m that the airplane travels...which doesn't really make sense to me:
0 = 22.2 + 2(-5.88)(d)
d = 1.9m
Have I done something wrong, or is there an easier formula to use that I haven't come across in my class?

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't square the initial velocity.

oh my...thanks :blushing:

1. How is distance calculated using velocity and Uk?

The formula for calculating distance with velocity and Uk is distance = velocity * time. Uk is the unit of velocity, representing the speed of an object in kilometers per hour. To find the total distance traveled, simply multiply the velocity by the time in hours.

2. Is velocity the same as speed?

No, velocity and speed are not the same. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only refers to the rate of motion without regard to direction.

3. How does time factor into the calculation of distance with velocity and Uk?

Time is a crucial component of the distance calculation as it determines how long an object has been in motion. The longer the time, the greater the distance traveled, assuming the velocity remains constant.

4. What is the significance of using Uk as the unit of velocity?

Uk is a commonly used unit of velocity in the scientific community, and it is equivalent to 0.621 miles per hour. It is often used in conjunction with the metric system, making it easier to convert between different units of measurement.

5. Can distance be calculated without knowing the velocity?

No, distance cannot be accurately calculated without knowing the velocity. Velocity is a crucial factor in the distance calculation, and without it, the result will be incomplete or incorrect.