Explore Snell's Law and Refraction of Light

In summary: N2 is the index of refraction of the liquid, which in this case is water. So, in summary, the ray of light traveling from air to water has an angle of incidence of 30 degrees and an angle of refraction of 22 degrees. Using Snell's law, we can calculate the index of refraction of water to be 1.33. Remember to always write your units and be aware of the angle marking when using calculators.
sinz
Snell's law[SOLVED]

1. A ray of light travels from air(which is given to be 1.0003 I also had it be N1) into a liquid. The ray is incident upon the liquid(n2) at an angle of 30 degrees. The angle of refraction is 22 degrees.
Indices of Refraction.
Medium. . . .N
Vacuum...1.00
Air.. . . . ...1.0003
Water...1.33
Ethanol...1.36
Crown Glass.1.52
Quartz...1.54
Flint Glass---1.62
Diamond-----2.42

2. n1 X sinO1= n2 X sin02

3. n1 X sinO1= n2 X sin02 Alright so I am given the O1, O2, N1, but not N2 so I will plug in the numbers.

1.0003 X sin(30)= N2 X sin(22) Then I continue to do the math
1.0003 X -0.988031624 = N2 X -0.00885130929
-0.988328033= N2 x -0.00885130929
so N2= 111.658965

My main problem is that the math doesn't any of the mediums we are given. Did I make a mistake in my work or is the book wrong? I have gone over this many times with myself.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those values for sin look very wrong. You should have memorized the sine of 30 degrees, and should have a rough idea about the sine of 22 degrees, so you should be able to recognize that your calculation is wrong.

So then it would become
1.0003 x .5 (I knew something looked wrong should not use google calculator ever again.)= n2 X 0.374607
.50015= N2 x 0.374607
Divide by 0.374607
N2= 1.33

Thank you!

Don't forego google calculator, just use it correctly! This is a lesson in always writing your units. :smile:

Try asking it "sin 30 degrees".

Without the angle marking, it assumed radians.

Oh. Well thank you! Units are very important I just tried google calculator again and wrote radians got the same answer then I did degrees and got .5, Thank you!

Units are important.

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law, also known as the law of refraction, is a formula that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction when light passes through different mediums. It states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two mediums.

2. How does Snell's Law explain refraction of light?

According to Snell's Law, when light passes from one medium to another, it changes direction due to the change in speed caused by the change in density of the medium. This is known as refraction of light. The amount of refraction is determined by the refractive indices of the two mediums and the angle at which the light enters the second medium.

3. What is the relationship between the refractive index and the speed of light?

The refractive index is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when it passes through a medium. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the medium. The higher the refractive index, the slower the speed of light in that medium.

4. How does Snell's Law apply to everyday life?

Snell's Law is applicable to various phenomena in everyday life, such as the bending of light in a glass of water, the formation of rainbows, and the use of lenses in eyeglasses and cameras. It also plays a crucial role in the study of optics and the development of technologies such as fiber optics and lenses for telescopes and microscopes.

5. What factors can affect the refraction of light according to Snell's Law?

The main factors that can affect the refraction of light according to Snell's Law are the angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the two mediums, and the wavelength of the light. The angle of incidence determines the amount of refraction, while the refractive indices of the two mediums determine the direction of the refracted light. The wavelength of the light affects the speed of light in the medium, which in turn affects the amount of refraction.