Tank Problem - Pump at the END?

• Thread starter ko_kidd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump Tank
In summary, the conversation is discussing a tank problem involving a pump located at the end of a reservoir. The purpose of the conversation is to understand the function of the pump and how to calculate the outflow. The conversation also mentions the use of tall water towers for pressure in the water lines and the placement of pumps before the tanks. The main issue is determining the flowrate from the tank to the pump.
ko_kidd
Tank Problem -- Pump at the END?

I will try to post more relevant data if possible but my main issue is this:

I have a pump that receives water from a reservoir--so basically a gravity feed into an open-air tank.

The tank itself is supposed to feed into a pump (that is located at the very bottom of the tank horizontally extending from it).

I have never seen anything like this, it doesn't seem logical to have any sort of pump at the end of a reservoir when you could use a pump for just getting water into a tank and let gravity do the rest.

There is no mention of whether or not the pump is connected directly to the thing and/or feeds into another tank for the pump or if it just stops inside some sort of pump and just goes out to the town.

The paper literally says "The outflow of the tank is through a pump that pressurizes the distribution network throughout the town."

I think I can figure out most of the problem, but the way to calculate outflow is confounding me right now.

If it's a pump sucking out water, that's one thing--if it's just gravity feeding a pump, that's another thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are a couple of hints:

When you drive around to some very flat places, why do you see tall water towers?

What possible function could the pump serve?

Okay.

From what I've read, the towers are so high so that you can get a lot of pressure in the line to drive the water out to people's houses.

And pumps are before those tanks, so that they can provide water at a definite pressure down the lines to peoples' houses and so that they can refill the towers so that the pump doesn't have to be huge.

HOWEVER, my problem is not that similar to this. I'll show you the diagram of my problem (what I was given):

pumpproblem.gif

What does the problem ask you to find exactly? The output (flowrate) of the tank to the pump possibly?

1. How does the "Tank Problem - Pump at the END" work?

The "Tank Problem - Pump at the END" is a mathematical problem that involves determining the volume of liquid in a tank based on the time it takes to fill the tank and the rate at which the liquid is entering and exiting the tank.

2. What is the purpose of the "Tank Problem - Pump at the END"?

The "Tank Problem - Pump at the END" has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to analyze systems that involve continuous inflow and outflow of a substance, such as water tanks, chemical reactors, and financial investments.

3. What information is needed to solve the "Tank Problem - Pump at the END"?

To solve the "Tank Problem - Pump at the END", you need to know the rate at which the liquid is entering the tank, the rate at which it is leaving the tank, and the time it takes to fill the tank. These values can be measured or given in the problem.

4. Are there any assumptions made in the "Tank Problem - Pump at the END"?

Yes, the "Tank Problem - Pump at the END" makes the following assumptions: the tank is initially empty, the inflow and outflow rates are constant, and there are no leaks in the tank. These assumptions may not always hold in real-life situations, but they simplify the problem and provide a good approximation.

5. Can the "Tank Problem - Pump at the END" be solved using any formula?

Yes, there are various formulas that can be used to solve the "Tank Problem - Pump at the END". The most commonly used formula is known as the "Tank Equation", which is V = (F - E)t, where V is the volume of liquid in the tank, F is the inflow rate, E is the outflow rate, and t is the time it takes to fill the tank.