Thermo -> Heat Pump, confirmation.

In summary, the question is asking for the minimal temperature that a fridge can reach given a 100 W power input, 298 K environment temperature, and 350 W heat entering the fridge due to defective isolation. The formula \frac{q_2}{q_1} \leq \frac{T_2}{T_1} is used, where q2 is the heat being pumped out of the fridge and q1 is the heat being pumped into the environment. The assumption is made that q2 is equivalent to 350 W*t, where t is some arbitrary time. With this assumption, the minimal temperature the fridge can reach is found to be at least 231.78 K.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Thermo --> Heat Pump, confirmation.

Homework Statement

A cooling unit for a fridge has a 100 W power input. Environment temperature is 298 K. The heat which enters the fridge due to defective isolation is 350 W. What is the minimal temperature the fridge can reach?

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{q_2}{q_1} \leq \frac{T_2}{T_1}[/tex]

where q2 is the heat being pumped out of the fridge, q1 the heat being pumped into the environment, T1 the environment temperature, and T2 the fridge temperature.

q1 = q2 + w

where w is the work input on the cooling device.

The Attempt at a Solution

My key assumption that allows me to do this problem I feel very weak about. That is that q2 is equivalent to 350W*t where t is some arbitrary time. My interpretation of the problem is that that's the heat we want to remove.

With this in mind:

q1 = q2 + w = 350 W*t + 100 W*t = 450 W*t

so:

[tex]T_2 \geq \frac{q_2 T_1}{q_2} \geq \frac{350W*t(298 K)}{450W*t} \geq 231.78 K[/tex]Specific Question:

Is my fundamental assumption for q2 correct? I'm just looking for hints here, not solutions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
q1 = q2 + w = 250 W*t + 150 W*t = 350 W*t ?
Where did you get 250 and 150 ? And in the formula the denominater should be q2 + w. But the answer is OK

rl.bhat said:
q1 = q2 + w = 250 W*t + 150 W*t = 350 W*t ?
Where did you get 250 and 150 ? And in the formula the denominater should be q2 + w. But the answer is OK

oops! made an error in putting it from paper to computer. Made the fix, should have been

350 W*t + 100 W*t = 450 W*t

but I transcribed the final calculation correctly (q2 + w = 450 is in the denominator)

1. What is a heat pump?

A heat pump is a device that transfers heat from a colder area to a hotter area, using mechanical energy. It can be used for both heating and cooling purposes.

2. How does a heat pump work?

A heat pump works by using a refrigerant to absorb heat from a cold source, such as the air or ground, and then compressing and transferring that heat to a warmer area. This process is repeated to maintain a desired temperature in a space.

3. What is the difference between a heat pump and a traditional heating/cooling system?

A traditional heating/cooling system, such as a furnace or air conditioner, uses energy to generate heat or cool air. A heat pump, on the other hand, transfers heat from one place to another, making it more energy efficient and environmentally friendly.

4. Can a heat pump be used in all climates?

Yes, heat pumps can be used in all climates, but their efficiency may vary depending on the temperature and humidity levels. In colder climates, a heat pump may need to be supplemented with a backup heating system.

5. Are there different types of heat pumps?

Yes, there are different types of heat pumps, including air source, water source, and ground source heat pumps. They differ in the source of heat they use and their method of transferring heat. It is important to choose the right type of heat pump for your specific climate and needs.