Access Matrix Element in Mathematica

In summary: If you want to access an element of a matrix in Mathematica, you first need to define the matrix and then use the Extract function. To access an element of a matrix in Matlab, you first need to define the matrix and then use the Get function.
Mindscrape
[SOLVED] Access Matrix Element in Mathematica

Alright, so in Mathematica you define a matrix by saying A = {{a11,12,...},{21,a22,...}} for whatever matrix you are making. How do you access a particular element of that matrix?

Argh, Matlab is so much better.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, Mathematica is the crappiest language I've ever come across, and I've worked with more than a few. :)

Use Extract, e.g.:

Extract[Extract[A,1],2] = a12

If possible, use IDL, Matlab, R, Octave, SciLab, Python with NumPy and SciPy or anything else. I'd rather use an abacus than use Mathematica :). Good luck with your work.

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
If I recall correctly, L[[x]] extracts the x-th element of a list.

If you really don't want to type A[[x]][[y]], you can always define a function:

A[x_, y_] := A[[x]][[y]]

and then you should be able to use A[x, y] to index your matrix. (I think you can use the same letter A for both these purposes. If it fails or you find it confusing, then just rename the function to something else.

You could even do a generic

Get[A_, x_, y_] := A[[x]][[y]]

that takes the matrix as an argument. Then you'd call

Get[A, x, y]

Matlab was designed for the sole purpose of manipulating matrices -- therefore it should be no surprise that it's more convenient to use Matlab instead of Mathematica for manipulating matrices. :wink:

Mathematica isn't a bad language: the catch is that it's a functional language, which takes a bit of adjustment if you've never programmed in a functional language before.

Last edited:
I guess it's a matter of taste. But I have worked with LISP & Haskell. Can't say they've changed my opinion about Mathematica :smile:

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Got it. Thanks guys, I would have never sorted through mathematica help well enough to figure this out.

It really isn't that difficult - you can use Part[A, i, j]=aij

1. How do I access a specific element in a matrix in Mathematica?

To access a specific element in a matrix in Mathematica, you can use the double bracket notation. For example, if you have a matrix called "A" and want to access the element in the second row and third column, you would use A[[2,3]].

2. Can I access multiple elements in a matrix at once?

Yes, you can access multiple elements in a matrix at once by using a list of indices in the double bracket notation. For example, A[[{2,3}, {4,5}]] would access the elements in the second and third rows and fourth and fifth columns.

3. How can I access all elements in a specific row or column of a matrix?

To access all elements in a specific row or column of a matrix, you can use the colon notation. For example, A[[2, All]] would access all elements in the second row, while A[[All, 3]] would access all elements in the third column.

4. Is it possible to access a range of elements in a matrix?

Yes, you can access a range of elements in a matrix by using the colon notation with a range of indices. For example, A[[2, 2;;5]] would access elements in the second row from the second to fifth column.

5. Can I access elements in a matrix using logical conditions?

Yes, you can access elements in a matrix using logical conditions with the Select function. For example, Select[A, #>5&] would select all elements in matrix A that are greater than 5.