Stefan's Law And Definition Of Temperature

In summary, the relation I= \sigma \ T^4 is exact for blackbodies and holds for all temperatures. However, it is not used as a basis for defining temperature at specific temperatures, such as 100*C, because it requires knowing the value of emissivity, which is often unknown for specific objects. Additionally, tracking the total radiation and keeping track of all wavelengths would be cumbersome and make it difficult to find the temperature difference between two bodies. Furthermore, Stefan's Law does not provide a deeper understanding of temperature and the energy given off by an object due to temperature differences depends on the temperature of the receiving body.
neelakash
The relation I= [tex]\sigma[/tex] [tex]\ T^4 [/tex] is exact for blackbodies and holds for all temperatures.Why is this relation not used as a basis of a definition of temperature at,say, 100*C?

(i)We do not deal with all black bodies around us.So, for specific objects,we are to put the value of emissivity which is unknown to us.

(ii) T will be a very slowly varying function of Intensity I.The temperature difference of two bodies will be very difficult to find if the total radiation is not tracked.This means,you have to keep track of all the wavelengths...

(iii)The calculation will be cumbersome...

Science news on Phys.org
i am not sure if this is the reason but the reason i think stefan's law is not used to define temperature is because it doesn't actually help us understand anything about temperature and also the energy given out by an object in the surrounding due to the difference of temperature depends on the temperature of the body to which it is giving the heat to...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Stefan's Law and its relation to temperature. While it is true that the relation I=σT^4 is exact for blackbodies, it is not practical to use this as a basis for defining temperature at a specific temperature, such as 100°C. This is because:

(i) Not all objects around us are perfect blackbodies, meaning they do not emit or absorb radiation in the same way. This makes it difficult to accurately determine the value of emissivity, which is a crucial factor in the equation.

(ii) In order to accurately measure temperature using this equation, one would need to track all wavelengths of radiation emitted by the object. This would be a very complex and time-consuming task, making it impractical for everyday use.

(iii) The calculation itself would also be cumbersome and require a lot of data and precise measurements, making it difficult to use as a practical definition of temperature.

Therefore, while Stefan's Law is an important concept in understanding the relationship between temperature and radiation, it is not practical to use it as a basis for defining temperature at a specific value. Instead, we use other methods such as measuring the expansion of a substance or the temperature at which a substance changes state, to define temperature at a specific value.

1. What is Stefan's Law and how is it related to temperature?

Stefan's Law is a physical law that states that the total energy radiated from a black body is directly proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. In other words, as the temperature of a black body increases, the amount of radiation it emits also increases exponentially.

2. How is temperature defined according to Stefan's Law?

Temperature, according to Stefan's Law, is defined as the measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how fast the particles in an object are moving. The higher the temperature, the faster the particles are moving and the more radiation is emitted.

3. What is a black body and why is it important in Stefan's Law?

A black body is an idealized object that absorbs all radiation that falls onto it and emits radiation at a certain rate based on its temperature. It is important in Stefan's Law because it allows for a simplified understanding and calculation of the relationship between temperature and radiation.

4. How does Stefan's Law affect the behavior of objects at different temperatures?

Stefan's Law states that as an object's temperature increases, the amount of radiation it emits also increases. This means that as objects heat up, they emit more radiation and can appear brighter or even change color. Additionally, objects that are at different temperatures will emit different amounts of radiation, which is why we can use infrared cameras to detect temperature differences.

5. How is Stefan's Law used in scientific research and applications?

Stefan's Law is used in a variety of scientific research and applications. It is commonly used in astronomy to measure the temperature of stars and other celestial objects. It is also used in thermodynamics and engineering to design and improve heat transfer systems. Additionally, it is used in climate science to understand the Earth's energy balance and how temperature affects climate patterns.