Finding Constants for Rational Functions with Specific Vertical Asymptotes

In summary, to find two constants for 'a' and 'b' such that the vertical asymptote will be \pm \frac{3}{5}, the equation y=\frac{-x^2-7}{25x^2-9} can be used. The value of 'a' can be any real number, while the value of 'b' is 25. Additionally, the value of 'a' can affect the horizontal asymptote if the powers are the same, while the only factor for the vertical asymptotes is that it makes the denominator 0 without making the numerator 0.
Sorry!

Homework Statement

Find two constants for 'a' and 'b' such that the verticle asymptote will be [tex]\pm[/tex] [tex]\frac{3}{5}[/tex]

y=[tex]\frac{ax^2+7}{9-bx^2}[/tex]

I rearranged so that it becomes [tex]-bx^2+8[/tex] in the denominator since i know that there are two roots that are [tex]\pm[/tex] it must be a square and since 3 is the numerator of the root it must -9 ... so i rearranged again to get

y=[tex]\frac{-ax^2-7}{bx^2-9}[/tex]

in which case i found the constant for a (-1) and [tex]5^2[/tex] is 25 so i found b as well so the equation would be

y=[tex]\frac{-x^2-7}{25x^2-9}[/tex]

is this right? I have no way to check my answer so i just want to make sure :D

Physics news on Phys.org
well for a vertical asymptote...the denominator of the function should be zero
in your case [itex]9-bx^2=0[/itex]
so that [itex]x=\pm\fract{3}{\sqrt{b}}[/itex]
so then equate that to [itex]\pm\frac{3}{5}[/tex] and find b

not going to lie i don't get it...
would 25x^2-9 give u two values of x that equate to 0?
(5x-3)(5x+3).

I just don't understand what your doing there lol.

Another try: you want [itex]9-bx^2=0[/itex]
when x = +3/5 and x = -3/5; so if you want to do this in a crude way, just find the expression for b. This is b=(-9)/(x^2). So what is x ? You were already given the x values, since you want the vertical asymtotes at x=+3/5 and x=-3/5. Find b for both of these values by substituting. ...
b=25.

I see no particular big restrictions on a, except that a is not equal to zero.

Can't it be for all values of a? as the value of 'a' doesn't affect the vertical asymptotes

rock.freak667 said:
Can't it be for all values of a? as the value of 'a' doesn't affect the vertical asymptotes

yah all values can be 'a'. i just made it -1 so that the denominator would have better form... i think i did that right i wasn't EXACTLY sure if i could change all the signs in the equation by multiplying thru by -1 to move the negative to the top ? :S

rock.freak667 said:

The value of 'a' can affect the asymptotes if it happens to be -7*5^2/3^3.

Dick said:
The value of 'a' can affect the asymptotes if it happens to be -7*5^2/3^3.

the 'a' value affects horizontal asymptote if the powers are the same. The only factor for the vertical asymptotes is that it makes the denominator 0 without making the numerator 0.

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical function that can be expressed as the ratio of two polynomial functions. It is typically written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomial functions.

2. What is the domain of a rational function?

The domain of a rational function is all the values that the independent variable (usually x) can take without making the denominator (q(x)) equal to zero. This is because dividing by zero is undefined in mathematics.

3. How do you find the vertical asymptotes of a rational function?

To find the vertical asymptotes of a rational function, set the denominator equal to zero and solve for the values of x. These values will be the vertical asymptotes of the function. Remember to exclude any values that would make the numerator also equal to zero.

4. How do you find the horizontal asymptote of a rational function?

The horizontal asymptote of a rational function can be found by looking at the degrees of the numerator and denominator. If the degree of the numerator is greater than the degree of the denominator, there is no horizontal asymptote. If the degree of the numerator is equal to the degree of the denominator, the horizontal asymptote is the ratio of the leading coefficients. If the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, the horizontal asymptote is y = 0.

5. How do you solve rational function equations?

To solve rational function equations, you need to first simplify the function as much as possible by factoring and canceling common factors. Then, set the numerator equal to zero and solve for x. These values will be the x-intercepts of the function. Next, set the denominator equal to zero and solve for x. These values will be the vertical asymptotes. Finally, plot the x-intercepts and vertical asymptotes on a graph and use test points to determine the behavior of the function in between the asymptotes.