Quantum Angular Momentum [SOLVED]

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of normalizing the angular part of a wave function, finding the expectation values for < \vec{L}^{2} > and < L_{z} >, and calculating the probability of finding L_{z} = +\hbar. It was determined that the expectation value for < \vec{L}^{2} > is immediately obvious, as the state is an eigenstate with eigenvalue 2\hbar^2.
natugnaro
[SOLVED] Qunatum Angular Momentum

Homework Statement

Particle is in state

[tex]\psi=A(x+y+2z)e^{-\alpha r}[/tex]

[tex]r=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}[/tex]
A and alpha are real constants.

a) Normalize angular part of wave function.
b) Find [tex]<\vec{L}^{2}> , <L_{z}>[/tex]
c) Find probability of finding [tex]L_{z}=+\hbar[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]{L}^{2}= \hbar^{2}l(l+1)|lm>[/tex]
[tex]L_{z}=m \hbar|lm>[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found a) part

[tex]T(\theta,\phi)=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{3}}(1+i)Y^{-1}_{1}-\frac{1}{2\sqrt{3}}(1-i)Y^{1}_{1}+\frac{2}{\sqrt{6}}Y^{0}_{1}[/tex]

b)

Since [tex]Y^{m}_{l}=|lm>[/tex]

Using [tex]L_{z}=m \hbar|lm>[/tex]

<Lz>= 1/(4*3)*2<1-1|Lz|1-1> + 1/(4*3)*2<11|Lz|11> + 4/6<10|Lz|10> = 0

To find [tex]<\vec{L}^{2}>[/tex] I would apply operator of L^2 to angular part of wave function, just like I have done for Lz.

[tex]{L}^{2}= \hbar^{2}l(l+1)|lm>[/tex]

Is this is the way to find expectation values ?

c)

[tex]P(\hbar)=|-\frac{1}{2\sqrt{3}}(1-i)|^{2}=\frac{2}{12}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
All correct!

You do realize that the value [itex]\langle\vec{L}^{2}\rangle[/itex] is immediately obvious, right?

Avodyne said:
You do realize that the value [itex]\langle\vec{L}^{2}\rangle[/itex] is immediately obvious, right?

No, can you explain ?
I can see that l=1 , and m={-hbar, 0 , hbar}, but why is [itex]\langle\vec{L}^{2}\rangle[/itex] obvious ?

natugnaro said:
No, can you explain ?
I can see that l=1 , and m={-hbar, 0 , hbar}, but why is [itex]\langle\vec{L}^{2}\rangle[/itex] obvious ?

You only have states with [tex] l = 1[/tex] , then what can you say about the expactation value?

Possible values for measurment of L are L=hbar*sqrt(l(l+1)) so L^2=hbar^2*(l(l+1)) .
Because I have l=1
L^2=2*(hbar)^2 , but I only have states with l=1 so it must be also
<L^2>=L^2=2*(hbar)^2 right ?

Last edited:
Right. Your state is an eigenstate of [itex]\vec{L}^{2}[/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]2\hbar^2[/itex]. So the expectation value (for a normalized state) is the same as the eigenvalue.

ok, thanks for hints and replies.

Last edited:

1. What is quantum angular momentum?

Quantum angular momentum is a physical property of particles that describes their rotational motion. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is related to the uncertainty principle.

2. How is quantum angular momentum measured?

Quantum angular momentum is measured in units of planck's constant (h) divided by 2π. It is also represented by the quantum number "l" and can take on discrete values depending on the system.

3. What is the significance of quantum angular momentum?

Quantum angular momentum plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It helps explain the stability of atoms, the structure of the periodic table, and the properties of molecules.

4. Can quantum angular momentum be changed?

Yes, quantum angular momentum can be changed. In quantum mechanics, angular momentum can be transferred between particles through interactions, such as collisions or electromagnetic radiation.

5. How is quantum angular momentum related to spin?

Quantum angular momentum and spin are closely related concepts. Spin is a type of intrinsic angular momentum possessed by particles, and it is represented by the quantum number "s". In some cases, the total angular momentum of a particle is equal to the sum of its spin and orbital angular momentum.