Norm of a Function vs. Length of a Vector

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the norm of a function in the vector space C[0,1]. One person is confused about the difference between the norm and the length of the function, while the other person explains that the norm is defined differently and provides the correct answer for the norm calculation. The conversation also touches on the difference between a function's norm and its graph's length.
pr0me7heu2
Suppose f(x)= -2x+1 is a vector in the vector space C[0,1].

Calculating the norm (f,f) results in 1/3.

I'm a little confused.

So on [0,1] the function is a straight line from (0,1) to (0,-1).

So I thought I could simply takes this line segment and turn it into a directed line segment originating from the origin. So it would be equivalent to the vector v= 0i - 2j (right?)

, so then ||v|| = sqr(0^2 + (-2)^2) = 2

So the length of vector v is 2.

Why is this different from the norm (f,f)? Shouldn't they be the same?

...or am I completely missing the point here of the norm / inner product of the function?

Physics news on Phys.org
pr0me7heu2 said:
Suppose f(x)= -2x+1 is a vector in the vector space C[0,1].

Calculating the norm (f,f) results in 1/3.

I'm a little confused.

So on [0,1] the function is a straight line from (0,1) to (0,-1).

So I thought I could simply takes this line segment and turn it into a directed line segment originating from the origin. So it would be equivalent to the vector v= 0i - 2j (right?)

, so then ||v|| = sqr(0^2 + (-2)^2) = 2

So the length of vector v is 2.

Why is this different from the norm (f,f)? Shouldn't they be the same?

...or am I completely missing the point here of the norm / inner product of the function?

There is more then one definition for the norm of a function.

The length of a curve (or straight line) has little to do with its "norm". Why do you think they should be the same?

Your title, "Norm of a Vector Versus Length of a Vector" is somewhat misleading. You are actually talking about the norm of a function (thought of as a vector) and the length of its graph which is not at all a vector.

Last edited by a moderator:
The norm of the function defined in this case is (f.f) = [tex]\oint f^2 dx[/tex]
The limits are from 0 to 1.
The above integral turns out to be 1/3 which is the correct answer.

1. What is the difference between the norm of a function and the length of a vector?

The norm of a function measures the size or magnitude of the output of a function, while the length of a vector measures the magnitude of the vector itself.

2. How are the norm of a function and the length of a vector related?

The norm of a function can be thought of as the length of the vector created by the function's output. In other words, the norm of a function is the length of the vector formed by the function's output values.

3. What are the differences in calculations for finding the norm of a function and the length of a vector?

The norm of a function is typically calculated using an integral or a sum, depending on the type of function. On the other hand, the length of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which involves finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components.

4. Can the norm of a function and the length of a vector be equal?

Yes, in some cases, the norm of a function and the length of a vector can be equal. This happens when the output of the function forms a vector with all equal components, resulting in the norm of the function being equal to the length of the vector.

5. How can understanding the norm of a function and the length of a vector be useful in scientific research?

Understanding the norm of a function and the length of a vector can be useful in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and data analysis. These concepts help in measuring and comparing the magnitudes of different quantities, which is crucial in understanding and analyzing data and physical phenomena.