What is the relationship between force, momentum, and impulse in a collision?

In summary, a 0.65 kg cube collides with a 4.5 kg ball at rest on a frictionless table and gives the ball an impulse of 6.5 Ns over a period of 10 seconds. Using conservation of momentum, the horizontal velocity of the ball after the collision can be determined to be 1.33 m/s. The cube will continue to move in the same direction with a speed of 30.77 m/s. The distance between the two points of impact with the floor can be found using the equations for horizontal and vertical projectiles.
zen123
A 4.5 kg ball initially rest at the edge of a 2.5 m long, 1.5 m high frictionless table. A hard plastic cube of mass 0.65 kg slides across the table at a speed of 20m/s and strikes the ball to leave the table in the direction in which the cube was moving.
At t= 1 sec , F = .5 x10^3
At t= 2 sec , F = 1 x10^3
At t= 3 sec , F = 1.5 x10^3
At t= 4 sec , F = 2 x10^3
At t= 5 sec , F = 2x10^3
At t= 6 sec , F = 2 x10^3
At t= 7 sec , F = 1.5 x10^3
At t= 8 sec , F = 1 x10^3
At t= 9 sec , F = .5 x10^3
At t= 10 sec , F = 0 x10^3

a) Use the time and force to find the total impulse given to the ball
b) Determine the horizontal velocity of the ball immediately after the collision (you can’t assume the collision is elastic)
c) Determine the following for the cube immediately after the collision:
i. Its speed
ii. Its direction of travel (right or left) , if moving
d.) determine the distance between the two points of impact of the objects with the floor

for part a.) i did impulse = momentum = F*t, but i don't think that's right
for part b.) the equation i used was Vif= (m1-m2)/(m1+m2) but this wasn't correct either
for part c.) i used the equation v2f= (2m1)/(m1+m2), which again was wrong
for part d.)to find the distance i used the equation y = v1t + 1/2gt^2 for both distances which again was wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Regarding your solution, the problem is what F do you use? Instead, plot F vs. t and find the area under the curve. This will be the total impulse and also represents how much momentum was 'given' to the ball by the cube.

b) Now that you have part (a), you can find this and (c) pretty easily using conservation of momentum. Don't try to plug into a formula like you did above - start over from the law of momentum conservation.

Considering that (d) asks for the range of both objects, you already know they will probably both be moving to the right.

d) Both objects will be horizontal projectiles, so the equation you mention will need to be used separately for horizontal and vertical. I'm sure you've solved problems like that before; if you have the correct velocities you should get the answer.

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in a system or object where the total mass of the system can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point at which the system will balance in all directions, and it is often referred to as the "center of gravity".

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the particles in the system, with the weights being the masses of the particles. This can be represented mathematically as:

Xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)

Ycm = (m1y1 + m2y2 + ... + mnyn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)

Zcm = (m1z1 + m2z2 + ... + mnzn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)

3. What is the difference between center of mass and center of gravity?

The center of mass is a point where the total mass of the system is concentrated, while the center of gravity is a point where the force of gravity on the system can be considered to act. In most cases, the center of mass and center of gravity are located at the same point, but they may differ in certain cases where there are external forces acting on the system.

4. How does momentum affect the center of mass?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is directly related to its mass and velocity. In a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. Any change in momentum will affect the motion of the center of mass, as the center of mass is influenced by the motion of all the particles in the system.

5. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object if the object has an irregular shape or if there are external forces acting on the object. In these cases, the center of mass may not be located within the physical boundaries of the object, but it is still the point where the total mass can be considered to be concentrated.