Runge kutta method for solving PDE

In summary, the third term in the function f(x,y,y') can be neglected, but the A_n, B_n, C_n and D_n terms are necessary for the Runge-Kutta method to work properly.
kthouz
Hi!
If you don't see clearly this n terms please download the word file attached here.
Am a given a problem like f(x,y,y')= y''= x+y with y(0)=0, y'(0)=1 and h=0.1 and i want to solve it using Ringe Kutta.
As we know y_(n+1)= y_n + h(y'_n+(A_n + B_n + C_n)/3)
And y'_(n+1) = y'_n+(A_n + 2B_n + 2C_n + D_n)/3
x_(n+1)=x_0+(n+1)h
where
k=h/2
A_n=kf(x_n,y_n,y'_n)
[tex]\beta[/tex]_n= k(y'_n+(1/2)A_n) and so for
B_n=kf(x_n +k,y_n + [tex]\beta[/tex]_n,y'_n + A_n)
C_n= kf(x_n + k, y_n + [tex]\beta[/tex]_n, y'_n + B_n)
[tex]\delta[/tex]_n=h(y'_n + C_n)
D_n=kf(x_n +h, y_n + [tex]\delta[/tex]_n,y'_n + 2 C_n)
My problem is this:
For that given function(above) we can see that the y'_n ,i.e the third term in the brackets, is useless in the funtion. So i all the calculations the third term will be neglected. First tell me if i am right or not!
I did like that but during the class, the lecturer took the third term into account and add it to both x + y with reasons that only y'_n is zero but the third term will not be always zero because it contains the sums of A_n which is not zero.

Attachments

• runge kutta.doc
    111 KB · Views: 301
Physics news on Phys.org
So my question is that if the third term is zero or not. And in the Ring Kutta Method why do we need to use this third term?Yes, it is correct that you can neglect the third term in the function f(x,y,y'). This is because the y'_n term will always be zero, since it is the derivative of y at the current time step. The A_n, B_n, C_n and D_n terms are necessary components of the Runge-Kutta method, as they are used to calculate the numerical approximation of the derivatives in the function. As such, these terms must be included in the calculation of the solution.

1. What is the Runge-Kutta method for solving partial differential equations (PDE)?

The Runge-Kutta method is a numerical method used to solve differential equations, including PDEs. It involves breaking down the equation into smaller, discrete steps and using a set of formulas to approximate the solution at each step. This method is commonly used for solving complex PDEs that cannot be solved analytically.

2. How does the Runge-Kutta method work?

The Runge-Kutta method works by evaluating the original PDE at several points within each step and using these values to calculate a weighted average. This average is then used to update the solution at the next step. The accuracy of the method can be improved by using more evaluation points and higher-order formulas.

3. What are the advantages of using the Runge-Kutta method for solving PDEs?

One advantage of the Runge-Kutta method is that it is a general-purpose method that can be applied to a wide range of PDEs. It is also relatively easy to implement and can handle nonlinear equations. Additionally, the method has a good balance between accuracy and efficiency, making it a popular choice for solving PDEs.

4. What are the limitations of the Runge-Kutta method?

While the Runge-Kutta method is a powerful tool for solving PDEs, it does have some limitations. One major limitation is that it can only be applied to PDEs with a single spatial variable. This means that it cannot be used for PDEs with multiple spatial dimensions, such as those commonly found in fluid dynamics and heat transfer problems.

5. Are there any alternatives to the Runge-Kutta method for solving PDEs?

Yes, there are several other numerical methods that can be used to solve PDEs, such as finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of method will depend on the specific problem being solved. In some cases, a combination of different methods may be used to achieve the most accurate and efficient solution.