Calculating Uranium-235 Usage in Nuclear Power Plants

• Thread starter rose1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Per
In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of fissions that take place each second in a nuclear plant producing 1000 MW of electricity, as well as the amount of uranium-235 being used per day. The first part of the problem is solved by converting 200 MeV of energy to 3.1 x 10^10 fissions per second, which is then used to determine the number of fissions per second for a 330 MW plant. However, the amount of uranium-235 used per day is still unknown. To find this, one must consider the conversion of thermal energy to electrical energy with an efficiency of 33%, and then determine the total thermal energy in one day. From there, the number of U-
rose1

Homework Statement

Given that the average fission produces 200 MeV in energy, and that nuclear plants have an efficiency of 33%, how many fissions take place each second in a plant producing 1000 MW of electricity? How much uranium-235 is being used per day?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved the first part: 200 MeV of energy = 3.2 x 10^-11 watt-seconds. From this, 3.1 x 10^10 fissions per second produce 1 W of thermal power. For 330 MW, that equals 1.029 x 10^19 fissions per second. ...But I don't know how to go about finding how much uranium-235 is used per day. I know that U-235 only makes up 4% of a typical LWR, but I'm in the dark as to how much U-235 each fission would consume... Maybe I'm just having an off-day, and the answer's extremely easy... :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the fission energy ultimately becomes thermal energy, and that's one of the keys in solving the problem.

Firstly, one must recognize that the thermal energy is converted into electrical energy with an efficiency of 33% or 0.333. So MWe = 0.333 * MWt. Remember W is power.

So one must determine the MW-h or MJ of thermal energy in one day.

Then given the number of J per reaction one can determine the number of U-235 nuclei.

From that one determines the mass of U-235.

Thank you very much!

What is Uranium-235?

Uranium-235 is a naturally occurring radioactive isotope of uranium with an atomic number of 92. It is the most common fissile isotope used in nuclear reactors for energy production.

How is Uranium-235 used?

Uranium-235 is used primarily in nuclear reactors to generate electricity. It is also used in the production of nuclear weapons and in medical and scientific research.

How much Uranium-235 is used per day?

The amount of Uranium-235 used per day varies depending on the specific nuclear reactors in operation. On average, a nuclear reactor uses about 20-30 grams of Uranium-235 per day.

Why is Uranium-235 used instead of other isotopes?

Uranium-235 is preferred over other isotopes because it is the only naturally occurring fissile isotope, meaning it can sustain a nuclear chain reaction. It also has a higher concentration of energy compared to other isotopes.

What are the risks associated with using Uranium-235?

The main risks associated with using Uranium-235 include the potential for accidents or meltdowns in nuclear reactors, the production of radioactive waste, and the possibility of nuclear weapons proliferation. However, strict safety protocols and regulations are in place to minimize these risks.