Simple Harmonic Oscillator and period

In summary, the equation of motion of a simple harmonic oscillator is d2x/dt2 = -9x, where x is displacement and t is time. The period of oscillation is 2 pi / 3.
Knissp
[SOLVED] Simple Harmonic Oscillator

Homework Statement

The equation of motion of a simple harmonic oscillator is (second derivative of x wrt t) d2x/dt2 = -9x, where x is displacement and t is time. The period of oscillation is?

Homework Equations

2 pi f = omega
f = 1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

Given the relevant equations, one can show that
omega / 2pi = f
2pi/omega = T

The answer is 2pi/3 by the way, and I have trouble getting to this number. I probably have to integrate something, but I don't know what that would buy me. dx/dt = -9/2 x^2 and x = -3/2 x^3. When x is sinusoidal, I know the general form of the equation, but I am totally lost here.

Physics news on Phys.org
The sine will go away when you cancel.

x = A sin omega t
v = dx/dt = A omega cos omega t
a = dv/dt = d2x/dt2 = -A omega^2 sin omega t

The problem given: d2x/dt2 = -9x
becomes: -A omega^2 sin omega t = -9 (A sin omega t)

everything cancels except: - omega^2 = -9
omega = 3

omega = 2 pi f = 2 pi / T
3 = 2 pi / T

T = 2 pi / 3

The period of a simple harmonic oscillator can be determined using the equation T = 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency. To find ω, we can use the given equation of motion and substitute in the values for x and t. This will result in a differential equation that can be solved for ω. The solution to this differential equation is ω = 3, which means that the period of oscillation is T = 2π/3. This is consistent with the given answer of 2π/3. Therefore, the period of the simple harmonic oscillator is 2π/3.

1. What is a Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

A Simple Harmonic Oscillator is a system that oscillates back and forth around a equilibrium point due to a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point. It follows a sinusoidal motion.

2. What is the period of a Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

The period of a Simple Harmonic Oscillator is the time it takes for one complete oscillation or cycle. It is denoted by the symbol T and is measured in seconds.

3. How is the period of a Simple Harmonic Oscillator related to its frequency?

The period and the frequency of a Simple Harmonic Oscillator are inversely proportional. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. The relationship between the two can be expressed as T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.

4. What factors affect the period of a Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

The period of a Simple Harmonic Oscillator is affected by three main factors: the mass of the object oscillating, the stiffness of the restoring force, and the amplitude of the oscillations. A higher mass or stiffness will result in a longer period, while a larger amplitude will result in a shorter period.

5. Can the period of a Simple Harmonic Oscillator be changed?

Yes, the period of a Simple Harmonic Oscillator can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, changing the mass or stiffness of the system, or adjusting the amplitude of the oscillations, will result in a different period. Additionally, the period can also be changed by introducing external forces or damping into the system.