Preparing for GRE MATH Subject test

In summary, based on my college's advisor's advice, taking the GRE in the fall of your fourth year seems like the best option.
mordechai9
I will be taking the GRE Math subject test this next Fall and I need to start preparing for it this summer... I have been looking around on the internet and it seems like there's very few practice tests available. Has anyone else prepared for this test and can give me some advice on how to prepare for it and what kind of plan of action to take?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey I am in the same boat as you - I am planning on taking the test this November.

Regarding practice tests, I believe there are only three official old exams. One is available at the ETS website.

I had a meeting with my schools Math Chair and he gave me the following advice about preparing for the GRE Math Subject Test (He scored in the >90%ile 15 years ago):

1. Know your Calculus (I-III + Diff EQ) inside-out. This is the easiest section to prepare for and you don't want to miss easy points.

2. Same goes for the algebra portion.

3. The last portion ("Other topics") is the hardest to prepare for. According to him, these are the topics in (rough) order of importance:

Probability and Statistics
Real Analysis
Topology
Complex Analysis
Others (Combinatorics, Logic etc.)

Hope this helps.

Ah alright thanks... Let me know how your preparation goes as you advance and we can update each other on our progress and any other ideas.

I scored in the 90th % last fall, and it's safe to say calculus comes up a lot. Thankfully, I took advance calculus the spring before, so I remember a lot of fundamental ideas.

My best advice is do old exams and practice exams. If you keep struggling with a certain type of problem, study those problems. If you find some of your foundation to be shaky in analysis, study that too. A lot of the harder problems require you to be a bit more clever, try to think find quick methods to solving the problems giving on the practice exams.

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering how to tackle subjects I haven't taken yet. I will have taken everything by November except Complex Analysis and Combinatorics (only offered in the Spring.) Should I even bother teaching myself the basics of these over the summer, or should I just focus on solidifying what I already know.

math GRE subject test

This has probably been posted already but I couldn't find it in a search so just provide a link if you it has.

What is the best way to prepare for the math GRE subject test? I have taken all the mainstream courses: the calculus sequence, differential equations, real analysis, complex analysis, topology, algebra, statistics

Are any of the following books useful:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375764917/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375764917/?tag=pfamazon01-20

What are some good websites aside from the ETS one?

I am currently a rising junior. Next year I will take all graduate math courses and math seminars. Does it make sense to take the test in fall 2008 instead of fall 2009 or will a year of graduate-level classes give me an edge?

I live on the other side of the pond in Europe so I haven't a clue what GRE test is.

So, I still don't know whether it makes sense to take the math GRE next year or the year after...

ehrenfest said:
So, I still don't know whether it makes sense to take the math GRE next year or the year after...

What does your advisor at your college suggest?

I actually think taking grad courses is more of a disadvantage when it comes to the GRE. You're not going to be tested on any of the material you learn in these courses; instead, you will be chiefly tested on elementary things you probably met as a freshman. I'm going to be taking it this fall (I will be in my fourth year), and after trying some sample tests, I deeply regret not taking it in the fall of my second year. So sooner is probably better. Also think of it this way, if you do badly, you still have the chance to retake it next year.

morphism said:
I actually think taking grad courses is more of a disadvantage when it comes to the GRE. You're not going to be tested on any of the material you learn in these courses; instead, you will be chiefly tested on elementary things you probably met as a freshman. I'm going to be taking it this fall (I will be in my fourth year), and after trying some sample tests, I deeply regret not taking it in the fall of my second year. So sooner is probably better. Also think of it this way, if you do badly, you still have the chance to retake it next year.

I think you're right, except the GRE has some basic topology, complex analysis, combinatorics, etc... I doubt most sophomores have covered the material.

Is it correct that ETS has released only two GRE math subject tests, one of which is freely available online and the other one is only in this book: ?

I've done quite a bit of research into what's available and here's what I've found:

Online ETS Test: 1997 Complete Exam (New Scale)
Practicing 3rd Edition: 1997 Complete Exam (Old Scale)
Practicing 2nd Edition: 1993 Complete Exam + Most of the 1989 Exam
Practicing 1st Edition: 1989 Complete Exam

I'd only recommend using the ETS online test and the Practicing 2nd Edition Book (which I found at a library). The other two items are hard to find/expensive/redundant.

http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/MFT/pdf/mft_mathII.pdf

http://www.math.utah.edu/~crofts/

sample questions. there is actually a lot of material available on net. google math subjective gre more than once, you'll get different results sometimes. you might find a lot. albeit there is lesser out there than other subjects, but on the other hand, all that is available must be enough. one wouldn't have to waste much time looking for stuff.

regarding the GRE, is it a bad idea to take the test multiple times

Do schools care how many times you take it, as long as your best score is good?

arshavin said:
regarding the GRE, is it a bad idea to take the test multiple times

Do schools care how many times you take it, as long as your best score is good?
Good question. I would like to know the answer to that also.

ehrenfest said:
Good question. I would like to know the answer to that also.

A friend of mine took it twice. Scored ~62%ile the first time, ~77%ile the second time. Got into two top 25 schools. From what I understand, taking it twice is okay, as long as your score doesn't go down the second time.

Also, if you scored very low the first time, you'll probably want to significantly improve your score the second time. Getting two low scores would look pretty darn bad IMHO.

1. How should I start preparing for the GRE Math Subject test?

The first step to preparing for the GRE Math Subject test is to familiarize yourself with the test format and content. This includes understanding the different topics that will be covered on the test and the types of questions that will be asked. You can find this information on the official GRE website or in study materials specifically designed for the Math Subject test. Once you have a solid understanding of the test, you can begin reviewing and practicing the material.

2. How much time should I dedicate to preparing for the GRE Math Subject test?

The amount of time you should dedicate to preparing for the GRE Math Subject test will vary depending on your current level of knowledge and the score you are aiming for. It is generally recommended to start studying at least 3-6 months before the test date and to dedicate 2-3 hours of studying per day. However, it is important to create a study schedule that works best for you and to make sure you allow enough time for thorough preparation.

3. What study materials should I use to prepare for the GRE Math Subject test?

There are many study materials available for the GRE Math Subject test, including books, online courses, practice tests, and study guides. It is important to choose materials that are specifically designed for the Math Subject test and that align with your learning style. It is also helpful to use a variety of materials to ensure comprehensive preparation.

4. How can I improve my speed and accuracy on the GRE Math Subject test?

To improve your speed and accuracy on the GRE Math Subject test, it is important to practice regularly and effectively. This includes taking timed practice tests, reviewing and understanding your mistakes, and identifying areas where you need to improve. It is also helpful to develop strategies for tackling different types of questions and to become familiar with common formulas and concepts.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for preparing for the GRE Math Subject test?

Some tips and tricks for preparing for the GRE Math Subject test include practicing with a timer to improve your speed, focusing on understanding concepts rather than memorization, and using flashcards to review key formulas and definitions. It is also important to stay organized and motivated throughout your preparation and to seek help from tutors or study groups if needed.