What is a Fractal? A 10th Grade Explanation

In summary, a fractal is a geometric figure with a fractional dimension, often defined as the Hausdorff dimension. An example is the Cantor ternary set, which has a dimension of approximately 0.6309.
Verblun
Unfortunately my level of maths does not allow me to fully understand fractals.
I am at a tenth grade level of mathematics and my understanding of fractals is minimal. Very minimal. After searching the net tirelessly I have realized that any information available to my level of understanding will simply tell me that a fractal is a geometric "shape." Anything more complicated than that is out of my league.
Please, all I need to know is WHAT IS A FRACTAL. Nothing complicated, just a basic explanation.
Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
As simply as possible, a "fractal" is a geometric figure that has fractional (that's where the name "fractal" comes from) dimension, where the dimension can be defined in a number of ways. Most commonly used is the "Hausdorff" dimension.

For example, you know, I am sure, the area of a 2 dimensional figure depends on a length squared, the volume of a 3 dimensional figure depends on a length cubed, etc. In general the "size" of a d dimensional figure depends on a length to the d power.

Now, consider the "Cantor ternary set": start with the unit line segment, [0, 1]. Remove the middel third (1/2, 2/3) (leaving the end points). Now remove the middle third of the two remaining intervals. remove the middle third of the (4) remaining intervals. The "Cantor ternary set" is what you get by continuing to remove "middle thirds" infinitely. Notice that at each step we take out the middle third so have twice as many intervals, each 1/3 as long as the intervals at the previous step. That is, we start with one interval of length 1, remove its middle third so we have 2 intervals of length 1/3 (total length 2/3), remove the middle third of each of those so we have 4 intevals, each of length 1/9 (total length 4/9= (2/3)^2), etc. In the limit the total length is the limit (2/3)^n= 0. But there are many good reasons, the fact that the Cantor set is uncountable is one of them, why we would not want to consider the Cantor set as have "length" 1. If we treat the Cantor set as, instead, a set of Hausdorf dimension d, we need to include the d power of a length so we would be taking the limit of (2/3^d)^n. That will have a finite, non-zero, limit if and only if 2/3^d= 1 or 2= 3^d. Taking the logarithm of both sides log(2)= dlog(3) so d= log(2)/log(3) or about 0.6309. The Cantor ternary set has fractional Hausdorf dimension 0.6309 and so is a "fractal" set.

What is a Fractal?

A fractal is a geometric shape or pattern that is self-similar, meaning it repeats itself at different scales. This means that as you zoom in or out on a fractal, you will see the same patterns repeating over and over again.

How is a fractal different from a regular geometric shape?

Unlike regular geometric shapes, such as squares or circles, fractals have a more complex and irregular structure. They also have a fractional dimension, meaning they fall between whole numbers on the number line.

What are some real-life examples of fractals?

Some real-life examples of fractals include snowflakes, trees, coastlines, and even the human body (with the branching of blood vessels and nerves). Fractals can also be found in natural phenomena, such as lightning bolts and clouds.

How are fractals used in science and technology?

Fractals have a wide range of applications in science and technology. They are used in computer graphics to create realistic and detailed images, in data compression to reduce file sizes, and in modeling complex natural phenomena. They also have applications in fields such as medicine, economics, and geography.

What is the significance of fractals in understanding the complexity of the natural world?

The study of fractals has helped us better understand and explain the complex and chaotic patterns found in nature. Fractals have also led to new mathematical theories and algorithms, allowing us to better model and predict natural phenomena. This has had a significant impact on various fields of science, from biology to physics to economics.