Energy losses through hysteresis and eddy current losses

In summary, energy loss in a transformer is mainly caused by hysteresis and eddy current losses, where a small amount of energy is dissipated in the form of heat due to the alternating current and induced currents in the core. The formula used to calculate energy loss due to eddy current losses is I2R.
topboim

Homework Statement

I would like to know how the energy loss happen in a tranformer and it would be very helpful if an example was provided.

Energy loss in tranformer through hysteresis losses and eddy current lossess, how does it occurs

Homework Equations

Is this equations used to find the energy loss (I2R) if not which formula is used

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not sure about the equations

thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy loss in a transformer occurs due to hysteresis and eddy current losses. Hysteresis losses occur when the core material of the transformer is magnetized and de-magnetized during each cycle of the alternating current. This causes a small amount of energy to be dissipated in the form of heat. Eddy current losses occur when currents are induced in the core of the transformer due to the alternating magnetic field created by the primary winding. The induced currents create resistance, causing energy to be dissipated in the form of heat. The formula used to calculate energy loss due to eddy current losses is I2R, where I is the current and R is the resistance.

I can provide a response to your question on energy losses in transformers. Hysteresis losses occur when the magnetic field in the transformer core is constantly changing, causing the magnetic domains in the core to continuously realign, which requires energy. This energy is then converted into heat, resulting in energy loss. Eddy current losses occur when the alternating current in the transformer induces small currents, known as eddy currents, in the core material. These currents also result in heat generation and energy loss.

An example of energy loss in a transformer can be seen in power transmission. When electricity is transmitted over long distances, it needs to be stepped up to high voltages to reduce energy loss during transmission. This is done through the use of transformers. However, during the transformation process, energy is lost due to hysteresis and eddy currents. This means that the amount of energy received at the end of the transmission line will be less than the amount that was initially sent out, resulting in energy loss.

To quantify the energy loss in a transformer, the formula used is known as the transformer efficiency formula, which is (Output power/Input power) x 100%. This takes into account all energy losses, including hysteresis and eddy current losses, and gives a percentage value for the efficiency of the transformer. Another formula that can be used to calculate the energy loss specifically due to hysteresis is the Steinmetz equation, which takes into account the frequency and magnetic properties of the core material.

I hope this helps to answer your question and provide a better understanding of energy losses in transformers.

1. What is hysteresis loss?

Hysteresis loss is the energy that is dissipated as heat when a material is subjected to a changing magnetic field. This occurs due to the resistance of the material to magnetization, causing it to lag behind the changing magnetic field and resulting in energy losses.

2. How does hysteresis loss affect energy efficiency?

Hysteresis loss can significantly decrease energy efficiency in devices that utilize magnetic materials, such as transformers and motors. This is because the energy lost as heat reduces the overall output of the device, leading to energy losses and decreased efficiency.

3. What are eddy currents and how do they contribute to energy losses?

Eddy currents are small electric currents that are induced in a conductor when it is placed in a changing magnetic field. These currents cause energy losses through the creation of heat, as they circulate within the conductor and encounter resistance.

4. How can hysteresis and eddy current losses be minimized?

These types of energy losses can be minimized through the use of materials with low magnetic hysteresis and electrical conductivity, as well as through the design of devices that minimize the effects of changing magnetic fields. Additionally, the use of laminated or insulated materials can also help reduce eddy current losses.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding energy losses through hysteresis and eddy currents?

Understanding these energy losses is important in the design and efficiency of various devices, such as transformers, electric motors, and generators. It can also be applied in the development of more efficient energy systems and technologies.