Analyzing circuits with resistor/battery

• Thread starter scholio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the diagram shows a circuit with a 25 volt battery connected to a 16ohm resistor at the top, which connects to a 8ohm resistor that goes down and a 1 ohm that goes to the right. The 1 ohm forms top right corner with a 3 ohm resistor pointing down to the bottom left corner. The bottom left corner connects to a 4 ohm resistor that connects with 8 ohm resistor coming down from the 16 ohm - 1 ohm wire. The 4 ohm is connected at a junction to a 5 ohm resistor which connects to the bottom of the battery.
scholio

Homework Statement

use circuit shown:

if my 'drawing' gets reformatted incorrectly, this is what it 'looks' like in words.
a 25 volt battery connected to a 16ohm at the top which connects at a junction to a 8ohm that goes down and a 1 ohm that goes to the right. the 1 ohm forms top right corner with a 3 ohm resistor pointing down to the bottom left corner. the bottom left corner connects to a4 ohm resistor that connects with 8 ohm resistor coming down from the 16 ohm - 1 ohm wire. the 4 ohm is connected at a junction to a 5 ohm resistor which connects to the bottom of the battery.

the battery, 8ohm, and 3 ohm are parallel. the 16ohm and 1 ohm wire is parallel to the 5ohm-4ohm wire. both are perpendicular to the battery, 8ohm and 3 ohm resistor.

btw, for future reference, what is the best way to put up diagrams like circuit so that it won't get messed up during posting?

_____16ohm__________1ohm___
| | |
--- | |
25volts 8 3
- o o
| h h
| m m
|____5ohm__|________4ohm___|

a) what is the potential difference across the 4 ohm resistor in the circuit?
b) what is the current in the 8 ohm resistor?
c) at what rate is the energy dissipated in the 16 ohm resistor and what fractions of all the energy dissipated is this?

Homework Equations

series resistors R = R_1 + R_2 + R_3 ...

parallel resistors 1/R = 1/R_1 + 1/R_2 + 1/R_3 ...

V = IR where V is potential, I is current, R is resistance

current I = epsilon/(R_1 + R_2) ---> not sure what epsilon stands for? R is resistor

The Attempt at a Solution

i want to know the best way to handle the circuit, i am not sure what to make into series or parallel resistors to simplify the circuit.

especially how to handle the 8 and 3 ohm resistors in the center

help appreciated

Attachments

• circ.JPG
    circ.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are 3 resistors that are obviously in series (that is, the same current flows through all 3 of them). Can you spot them?

the 16 ohm, 1 ohm and 3 ohm resistors?

if i made those three in series then how would the 8 ohm and 4 ohm be involved when i redraw the circuit?

attach a screen shot because my 'drawing' got messed up..if it helps

Last edited:
No, the 16 ohm resistor is clearly not in series with the others. The current flowing through that resistor gets split off into the 8 ohm resistor the branch containing the 1, 3, and 4 ohm resistors.

Try again?

the 1, 3, 4 ohm resistors? and then the 16, 8, 5 ohm resistors, then both series joined in parallel?

Hi, sorry for the delay. I've been busy.

Yes, the 1,3, and 4 ohm resistors are in series. But the rest are not in parallel. If you reduce those 3 resistors to a single resistor, you should be able to see that it is in parallel with the 8 ohm resistor.

Can you take it from there?

What is a resistor and how does it affect a circuit?

A resistor is an electronic component that restricts the flow of current in a circuit. It is measured in ohms and is used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit. Resistors can also be used to divide voltage, limit current, and adjust signal levels.

What is a battery and how does it power a circuit?

A battery is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It consists of one or more electrochemical cells connected in series, which produce a voltage difference between two terminals. This voltage difference is what powers the circuit by providing the necessary energy for the current to flow.

How do you analyze a circuit with resistors and batteries?

To analyze a circuit with resistors and batteries, you first need to calculate the total resistance of the circuit. This can be done by using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. Next, you can use Kirchhoff's Laws to determine the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. Finally, you can use these values to calculate the power dissipated by each resistor and the total power in the circuit.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, with the same current flowing through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, with the same voltage applied across each branch. The total resistance of a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, while the total resistance of a parallel circuit is less than the smallest individual resistance.

How do you calculate the voltage and current in a series or parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the resistors based on their individual resistances. The total current in the circuit is the same at all points. In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across each branch, and the total current is the sum of the currents in each branch. To calculate voltage in a series circuit, you can use Ohm's Law. To calculate voltage in a parallel circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law. To calculate current in either type of circuit, you can use Ohm's Law or Kirchhoff's Current Law.