Best Physics Exercise Books for Improving Calculation Skills?

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a physics exercise book with plenty of worked examples and exercises to improve their skills in calculations. A recommendation is made to check out the Schaum's Outline series.
roam
Hello!

I'm very bad in Physics when it comes to making calculations and using formulas and answering that type of questions...
Majority of the physics books I get mostly focus on the concepts and explanations rather than the calculations...

I was wondering if you any of you guys know of any Physics exercise books (elementary to intermediate level) which has plenty of worked examples and exercises.

I'm studying basic physics (Mechanics & Waves in particular) but I really need to improve my skills in calculations and I need to be familiar with different types of questions. And what I really need is an effective exercise book so I can get loads of practice.

I'll appreciate your recommendations...

Thanks.

Regards,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I understand the importance of having strong calculation skills in physics. It is essential for understanding and applying the concepts in this field. I would recommend looking for exercise books that specifically focus on problem-solving techniques and provide a variety of practice problems. Some popular options include "Schaum's Outline of College Physics" and "Practice Makes Perfect: Physics." These books have a large number of worked examples and exercises to help improve your calculation skills. Additionally, online resources such as Khan Academy and Physics Classroom also offer practice problems and tutorials to further enhance your skills. With consistent practice and determination, I am confident that you will see improvement in your calculations and overall understanding of physics. Good luck on your journey!

What is the best introductory physics book for beginners?

The best introductory physics book for beginners would depend on the reader's level of understanding and interests. Some popular options include "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca.

What is the most comprehensive and advanced physics book for advanced readers?

Some of the most comprehensive and advanced physics books include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Quantum Mechanics: Non-Relativistic Theory" by L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz.

Are there any physics books that explain complex concepts in an easy-to-understand manner?

Yes, there are many physics books that aim to explain complex concepts in a simpler and more approachable way. Some popular options include "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman, "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, and "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.

What are some recommended physics books for self-study or independent learning?

For self-study or independent learning, some good options include "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman, "The Theoretical Minimum: What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

Are there any physics books that focus on real-life applications and examples?

Yes, there are many physics books that use real-life applications and examples to explain concepts. Some popular options include "The Physics of Everyday Phenomena" by W. Thomas Griffith and Juliet Brosing, "The New Science of Strong Materials: Or Why You Don't Fall Through the Floor" by J.E. Gordon, and "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard Feynman.