Why is my protein Raman spectrum changing dramatically with each measurement?

In summary: For some molecules, the photon energy must correspond to an excited electronic state. This is why aromatic compounds emit fluorescence. However, this is not the only requirement for fluorescence. molecules that are able to relax back to the ground state (via electron transfer, vibration, or some other process) can also fluoresce.
evidenso
Raman spectroscopy of protein please help

Hey any Raman experts out there?
Im doing Raman spectroscopy of a protein called c-reactive protein (in aquous solution) using 532nm 10mW and the protein placed in a nmr tube. I can nicely get a spectrum of benzene and cyclohexane, but when I am doing Raman on the protein, the spectrum chanches dramatical for every measurement (flourescence like). how can this be? and how can i test if I have destroyed the protein?

MB

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Is there a high fluorescence background in the sample? Does this change (lower) each time you analyze the same sample or within the same sample during long scans? If so, you could be photobleaching the sample.

If the sample changes over time regardless of the time spent in the spectrometer, you could be looking at degredation, aggregation or secondary structural changes.

To test for 'destruction' you must have a test to determine the titre of the sample in mind. If the titer changes (lowered) after the raman measurement vs. handling in the same manner minus the actual raman measurement, you have degraded the sample. I don't know of any other way to determine whether or not the protein has been degraded.

okay thanks. I then think I am photobleaching the sample, is this a process which can be reversed?

Probably not, in proteins the photobleaching is likely an irreversible process. It is probably a free radical oxidation of the tyrosine residues. If the spot size is small relative to the sample, you will see fluorescence recover mainly as fresh sample diffuses back into the lightpath. If the spot size is large relative to the sample size (5mm NMR tube?) there won't be as much 'recovery'.

FRAP (fluorescent recovery after photobleaching), as described by chemistree, is typically used to probe cell membranes and single cells (and interactions within membranes and cells) but not individual proteins, at least from the literature I've skimmed on the topic.

I'm not familiar with C-reactive protein, but there should be some sort of assay that you (or a collaborator) use as part of the purification and characterization process to make sure that the sample you're working with is functional/of adequate quality. In both of the biophysical spectroscopy labs I've worked in, we'd always check a sample by the assay (spectrophotometric, ligand/substrate binding, enzymatic activity, or whatever), do our experiments, and then redo the assay to make sure it hadn't completely died on us.

Sounds to me like you're doing something similar to a fluorescence correlation spectroscopy measurement (basically, you focus a laser beam in a solution containing a fluorescent species. The fluorescence signal fluctuates because of molecules diffusing in and out of the focal volume of the laser. The autocorrelation of the fluctuations can tell you information about the diffusion of the fluorescent molecules in the solution). Is the protein solution relatively dilute?

chemisttree said:
Probably not, in proteins the photobleaching is likely an irreversible process. It is probably a free radical oxidation of the tyrosine residues. If the spot size is small relative to the sample, you will see fluorescence recover mainly as fresh sample diffuses back into the lightpath. If the spot size is large relative to the sample size (5mm NMR tube?) there won't be as much 'recovery'.

ok thanks. is oxidation the only way of photobleaching? and why is it the aromatic aminos which are affected? are they the true flourephores?

evidenso said:
ok thanks. is oxidation the only way of photobleaching? and why is it the aromatic aminos which are affected? are they the true flourephores?

In a very general way, photobleaching occurs whenever the fluorophore(s) becomes unable to fluoresce due to photochemical damage and/or covalent modifications. Oxidation of aromatic residues is a pretty safe sort of explanation, but if there are other fluorophores in the protein (bound cofactors, metal centers, and the like) they could be the primary source of the fluorescence signal and, accordingly, the reason for photobleaching. They could be undergoing some sort of photochemical rearrangement or decomposition after some period of time.

Mike H said:
In a very general way, photobleaching occurs whenever the fluorophore(s) becomes unable to fluoresce due to photochemical damage and/or covalent modifications. Oxidation of aromatic residues is a pretty safe sort of explanation, but if there are other fluorophores in the protein (bound cofactors, metal centers, and the like) they could be the primary source of the fluorescence signal and, accordingly, the reason for photobleaching. They could be undergoing some sort of photochemical rearrangement or decomposition after some period of time.

ok thanks, that helped a lot. But why have some molecules flouresence an some not. Ofcause the photon energy must correspond to an excited electronic state. But is this the only demand, and does aromatic compounds emit flourescence because they fulfill this demand?

evidenso said:
ok thanks, that helped a lot. But why have some molecules flouresence an some not. Ofcause the photon energy must correspond to an excited electronic state. But is this the only demand, and does aromatic compounds emit flourescence because they fulfill this demand?

Some molecules are capable of dissipating the absorbed energy before fluorescence would occur. Those that do don't fluoresce. Molecular rigidity plays a role - if a molecule is flexible, it has more options to dissipate away the absorbed energy, but if a molecule is more rigid (like most conjugated/aromatic compounds) it has fewer degrees of freedom to work with in dissipating the energy.

I would suggest checking out Lakowicz's book on fluorescence spectroscopy from your nearest library for answers to pretty much all of your questions. If you're encountering any sort of wonky issue with fluorescence in biophysical spectroscopy - desired or not - it's pretty much a standard reference to be aware of in one's research.

1. What is Raman spectroscopy?

Raman spectroscopy is a technique used to analyze the molecular structure of a substance by measuring the wavelengths and intensities of scattered light. This technique is based on the Raman effect, which occurs when light interacts with the chemical bonds within a molecule, causing a shift in the energy levels of the scattered light.

2. How does Raman spectroscopy work for proteins?

Raman spectroscopy can be used to study the structure, conformation, and interactions of proteins. The technique involves shining a laser on a protein sample and measuring the scattered light. The resulting spectrum provides information about the chemical bonds and functional groups present in the protein, allowing for the determination of its structure and conformation.

3. What are the advantages of using Raman spectroscopy for protein analysis?

Raman spectroscopy has several advantages for protein analysis. It is a non-destructive and label-free technique, meaning that the sample does not need to be altered or destroyed for analysis. It also has high sensitivity and can be used to study proteins in various environments, including in solution and in living cells.

4. What are the limitations of Raman spectroscopy for protein analysis?

Raman spectroscopy has some limitations when it comes to protein analysis. One major limitation is the fluorescence interference from certain molecules, which can affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, Raman spectroscopy is not suitable for studying proteins with low concentrations or those with complex structures.

5. What are some applications of Raman spectroscopy in protein research?

Raman spectroscopy has a wide range of applications in protein research. It can be used to study protein folding and unfolding, protein-ligand interactions, and protein-protein interactions. It is also useful in the identification and characterization of protein conformations and in the study of protein dynamics and stability.