Energy stored in the magnetic field of two inductors

In summary, the conversation discusses two solenoids on the same cylindrical axis, with one having 400 loops and a current of 3.5 amp, producing a flux of 300 microWb on itself and 90 microWb on the other solenoid which has 700 loops. The question asks to calculate the energy stored in the system, and the attempt at a solution mentions using the equation for self-inductance. However, the person is unsure about the value to use for self-inductance in this scenario.
ascii

Homework Statement

Two solenoids on the same cylindrical axis
Solenoid A has 400 loops and a current of 3,5 amp. Produces a flux of 300microWb on itself and 90 microWb on solenoid B
Solenoid B has 700 loops

Homework Equations

Calculate the energy stored in the system.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know that the energy stored in magnetic field equals the square of the field over two times mu zero, but that's not the case here since I don't have the field.
I also know that for a self-inductor the energy stored equals to the square of the current times the self induction over two.
I believe I need to use that last equation, but as I don't understand where it comes from I don't know what to put as self-induction, or if it works also when the induction is produced by another coil.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did I do something wrong here not to get any answer?

I would like to clarify that there are a few equations and concepts that need to be considered in order to accurately determine the energy stored in the magnetic field of two inductors.

Firstly, the energy stored in a magnetic field is given by the equation:

E = (1/2) * L * I^2

Where E is the energy stored, L is the self-inductance of the inductor, and I is the current flowing through the inductor.

In this case, we have two inductors, A and B, on the same cylindrical axis. Solenoid A has 400 loops, a current of 3.5 amps, and produces a flux of 300 microWb on itself and 90 microWb on solenoid B. Solenoid B has 700 loops.

To calculate the energy stored in solenoid A, we can use the equation mentioned above:

E_A = (1/2) * L_A * I_A^2

Where L_A is the self-inductance of solenoid A and I_A is the current flowing through solenoid A.

Now, the self-inductance of an inductor is given by the equation:

L = (N^2 * μ_0 * A) / l

Where N is the number of turns, μ_0 is the permeability of free space, A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid, and l is the length of the solenoid.

Using this equation, we can calculate the self-inductance of solenoid A:

L_A = (400^2 * μ_0 * A_A) / l_A

We do not have the values for the cross-sectional area (A_A) and length (l_A) of solenoid A, so we cannot calculate the exact value of L_A. However, we can still use this equation to compare the energy stored in solenoid A and B.

Similarly, we can calculate the energy stored in solenoid B using the equation:

E_B = (1/2) * L_B * I_B^2

Where L_B is the self-inductance of solenoid B and I_B is the current flowing through solenoid B.

To calculate the self-inductance of solenoid B, we can use the same equation as above, but with the values of N, A, and

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of inductance and how it relates to the energy stored in a magnetic field. Inductance is a property of a circuit that describes the ability of a circuit to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. In this case, we have two solenoids on the same cylindrical axis, which means they are connected in series and the total inductance of the system can be calculated by adding the individual inductances of each solenoid.

The inductance of a solenoid can be calculated using the equation L = μ₀N²A/l, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns, A is the cross-sectional area, and l is the length of the solenoid. Using this equation, we can calculate the inductance of each solenoid.

For solenoid A, with 400 loops, a current of 3.5 amps, and a flux of 300 microWb, we can calculate the inductance as L = (4π x 10^-7)(400)²(π x 0.01²)/(0.3) = 0.0024 H.

For solenoid B, with 700 loops and no current or flux mentioned, we cannot calculate the inductance directly. However, we can assume that the current in solenoid A induces a current in solenoid B, which creates a magnetic field and flux in solenoid B. This is known as mutual inductance and can be calculated using the equation M = k√(L₁L₂), where k is the coupling coefficient and L₁ and L₂ are the inductances of the two solenoids. Since the solenoids are on the same axis and have a high degree of coupling, we can assume k = 1. Therefore, the mutual inductance between the two solenoids can be calculated as M = √(0.0024 x L₂).

Now, we can calculate the total inductance of the system as L = L₁ + L₂ + 2M = 0.0024 + L₂ + 0.0024√(L₂). We can solve this equation numerically to find the value of L₂, which is the inductance of solenoid B.

Once we have

1. How is energy stored in the magnetic field of two inductors?

The energy stored in the magnetic field of two inductors is a result of the mutual inductance between them. When the current in one inductor changes, it induces a current in the other inductor which creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field stores energy, which can then be released when the current in the inductors changes again.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy stored in the magnetic field of two inductors?

The amount of energy stored in the magnetic field of two inductors is affected by the inductance of each inductor, the distance between them, and the current flowing through the inductors. The greater the inductance, the closer the inductors are to each other, and the higher the current, the more energy will be stored in the magnetic field.

3. How do the direction and magnitude of the current affect the energy stored in the magnetic field of two inductors?

The direction and magnitude of the current in the inductors affect the strength and direction of the magnetic fields created, which in turn determines the amount of energy stored in the magnetic field. A stronger current or a current flowing in the same direction in both inductors will result in a stronger magnetic field and more energy stored.

4. Can the energy stored in the magnetic field of two inductors be converted into another form?

Yes, the energy stored in the magnetic field of two inductors can be converted into other forms of energy, such as electrical energy. This can occur when the current in the inductors changes, causing the magnetic field to collapse and release the stored energy in the form of an electrical current.

5. How is the energy stored in the magnetic field of two inductors calculated?

The energy stored in the magnetic field of two inductors can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * L * I^2, where E is the energy in joules, L is the inductance in henries, and I is the current in amperes. This formula takes into account the inductance of the inductors and the current flowing through them to determine the amount of energy stored in the magnetic field.