Protect Your Intellectual Property: General Question

• Thread starter H0T_S0UP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the conversation discusses the protection of intellectual property when posting theories in a public forum. It is mentioned that by disclosing one's ideas, they are no longer protected and others may claim them as their own. It is also noted that personal theories are not allowed in the main forums, but there is an Independent Research forum where one can submit their research for discussion, with strict guidelines to be followed. The link to the IR Submission Guidelines is provided.
H0T_S0UP
this is my first post and I am new here so forgive me if this is in the wrong forum but I have a general question to ask and I couldn't find a suitable section in the forums. Here it goes: If I were to post some theories of mine, is my intellectual property protected if whatever I post so happens to be true? Ha perhaps I should go a Law and Order forum. But seriously I have found some mathematical patterns and I've also done lots of thinking about gravity and time and some of the conclusions I've came to yeild interesting results. However I don't want just guy taking my ideas and claiming them to be their own. Hope my question doesn't come off as defensive or arrogant I just don't want someone taking credit for my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
If one discusses one's theories in the public domain, one basically surrenders one's rights to control the work. One could claim originality only by virtue of the date of disclosure, and assuming that no one else has published the same idea.

Secondly, we do not permit personal theories in the main forums, but we have an Independent Research (IR) forum in which people may submit research for discussion. However, we have a rigorous set of criteria with which one must comply in order to have the submission accepted, e.g. one must provide a review of prior work in the field, and describe what is new and original about one's work and how it fills the holes in the existing body of knowledge. Failure to do so will result in rejection of the submittal, which is maintained in moderation out of the public view unless accepted.

See the IR Submission Guidelines here - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=82301

Hello and welcome to the forum! Your question is a very important one, especially for scientists and researchers who are constantly generating new ideas and theories. In general, any original work that you create is automatically protected by copyright laws, regardless of whether it is posted online or not. This means that if someone were to use your ideas without your permission, you could take legal action against them.

However, it is always a good idea to take additional steps to protect your intellectual property. One way to do this is by including a copyright notice on your work, stating that it is protected by copyright laws. You can also consider registering your work with the copyright office in your country, which can provide additional legal protection.

Additionally, if you are concerned about someone taking credit for your work, it may be beneficial to publish your ideas in a reputable scientific journal or present them at a conference. This can establish a record of your original work and make it more difficult for others to claim it as their own.

In the end, it is important to be cautious and take steps to protect your intellectual property, but also remember that the scientific community values collaboration and sharing of ideas. So don't be afraid to share your theories and engage in discussions with others, but always be aware of your rights as the creator of your original work. I hope this helps answer your question. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is intellectual property?

Intellectual property refers to the legal rights that protect creations of the mind, such as inventions, literary and artistic works, symbols, names, images, and designs. These rights allow creators to have control over and profit from their original creations.

2. How can I protect my intellectual property?

There are several ways to protect your intellectual property, including registering for patents, trademarks, and copyrights. It is also important to keep your ideas and creations confidential and to use contracts and non-disclosure agreements when sharing them with others.

3. What is the difference between a patent, trademark, and copyright?

A patent protects inventions or processes, a trademark protects names or symbols used to identify a product or service, and a copyright protects original works of authorship, such as books, music, and art.

4. How long does intellectual property protection last?

The duration of protection varies depending on the type of intellectual property. Patents typically last for 20 years, trademarks can be renewed indefinitely, and copyrights generally last for the life of the creator plus an additional 70 years.

5. What should I do if my intellectual property rights are infringed?

If you believe your intellectual property rights have been infringed, you should seek legal counsel to determine the best course of action. This may include sending a cease and desist letter, filing a lawsuit, or negotiating a settlement.