Visualising calabi yau manifolds

• Thread starter SmirkingMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manifolds
In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to create visualisations of Calabi-Yau manifolds using POVRay. A possible solution is given using parametric objects and a website is referenced for an elegant POVRay solution. The conversation also mentions the limitations of POVRay in handling 6-dimensional polynomials and the use of param.inc to approximate them. The conversation ends with a request for clarification and a reference to a website for a possible solution.
SmirkingMan
I would like to make visualisations of calabi-yau manifolds, like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calabi-Yau_manifold" (the image on the right).

It would appear that http://www.povray.org/" is the appropriate tool (I suspect, after much Googling, that the image was created with POVRay), but it can only handle 3 dimensions: here is the answer that a kind POVRay wizard gave me:
POVRay doesn't solve 6-dimensional polynomials of complex variables, so
you'll need to find a way to express a 3-dimensional cross section of
the manifold using only expressions that are available in POVRay.

If you end up with something that can be expressed as a polynomial of x,
y and z, then you can use the poly object.

If you end up with something that can be expressed as
F(x,y,z) = 0
where F is a function that uses only trig functions, hyperbolic trig
functions, logs, powers and simple arithmetic on real variables, then
you can use an isosurface.

If you end up with something that can be expressed as
x = Fx(u,v)
y = Fy(u,v)
z = Fy(u,v)
Then you can use a parametric object. Parametric objects can be
extremely slow, but you can use Ingo Janssen's Param.inc to approximate
them with smooth meshes.

Is there a way to express CY projections like this with a 3-dimensional formula?

My apologies if this question provokes only mirth because it's so stupid - my education stopped at a manifold being a part of an internal combustion engine :redface:.

Thanks in advance
Maurice

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My apologies for insisting, but is there a kind soul who could tell me if what I want to do is feasible or not?

Thanks and regards

1. What are Calabi Yau manifolds?

Calabi Yau manifolds are complex mathematical shapes that have been extensively studied in the field of string theory. They are six-dimensional manifolds that have a certain set of properties, including being Ricci flat and having a holomorphic non-vanishing (3,0)-form. These manifolds play a crucial role in theories of quantum gravity and are important in understanding the fundamental structure of the universe.

2. How are Calabi Yau manifolds visualized?

Calabi Yau manifolds are typically visualized using mathematical software such as Mathematica or Maple. These programs use complex algorithms to plot the shape of the manifold in a way that can be easily understood and manipulated. Other visualization techniques, such as 3D printing, have also been used to create physical models of Calabi Yau manifolds.

3. What is the significance of visualizing Calabi Yau manifolds?

Visualizing Calabi Yau manifolds allows scientists to better understand the complex mathematical properties of these shapes. It also helps to illustrate the connections between different areas of mathematics and physics, such as geometry, topology, and string theory. Additionally, visualizations can aid in making predictions and testing theories about the universe and its fundamental structure.

4. Can Calabi Yau manifolds be visualized in higher dimensions?

Yes, Calabi Yau manifolds can be visualized in higher dimensions, although it becomes increasingly difficult to comprehend and represent them in higher dimensions. Some mathematical software allows for visualizing Calabi Yau manifolds in up to 10 dimensions, but it can be challenging for humans to interpret and understand them in such high dimensions.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Calabi Yau manifolds?

While Calabi Yau manifolds themselves are purely theoretical objects, their study has led to advancements in many fields, including mathematics, physics, and computer science. They have been used in the development of string theory, which has potential implications for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe. Additionally, their study has led to new insights in geometry, topology, and other areas of mathematics.