Can you have a curved line without a plane?

In summary, HallsofIvy says that a curve without a plane can be drawn on a sheet of paper, and that a curve with a lower dimension can be embedded in a 2D plane.
Pjpic
Sorry to beat a dead horse. But, maybe; if someone could explain this slowly just using words to me, it would help a lot of lay readers (those of us without the calculus).

So, how can you curve a line if you don't have a plane?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "curve a line"?

The helix given by x= cos(t), y= sin(t), z= t is a three dimensional curve that will not fit in any single plane. It looks like a coiled spring. It is not clear to me why you would think that a plane has anything to do with a curve.

gel said:
What do you mean by "curve a line"?

I don't know any technical terms. But I mean to say a line with a curve in it - or a line that is not straight.

HallsofIvy said:
The helix given by x= cos(t), y= sin(t), z= t is a three dimensional curve that will not fit in any single plane. It looks like a coiled spring. It is not clear to me why you would think that a plane has anything to do with a curve.

Sorry, I probably have mispoken some technical term. But, I think of a curved line as drawn on a the plane piece of paper .

I still don't understand what you're asking. HallsofIvy's post gives an example of a curve in 3 dimensional space. It doesn't lie in any plane, and why should it?
If you're only thinking of curves drawn on a sheet of paper, then it lies in a plane simply because a sheet of paper lies in a plane -- unless you roll it up.

btw, in mathematics a line is usually by definition taken to be straight. A curve can be a line (i.e. straight), but doesn't have to be.

It doesn't lie in any plane, and why should it?

Sorry, again; I don't know how phrase the limits of the question technically, so that the gist of it is apparent. Maybe something more like: Can you have a curve without, at least, a plane to draw it on.

ok, the answer is yes. HallsofIvy's post gives an example.

gel said:
ok, the answer is yes. HallsofIvy's post gives an example.

Sorry, I'm not understanding . Hallsofivy's answer seems, to me, to say how to have a curve without a single plane (though many planes?). I'm asking how to have a curve without, at least, a plane.

you're losing me here. What does "have a curve without a single plane" mean?
A curve doesn'y have to lie in a plane, as HallsofIvy showed. What else are you asking.

gel said:
you're losing me here. What does "have a curve without a single plane" mean?
A curve doesn'y have to lie in a plane, as HallsofIvy showed. What else are you asking.

Sorry, I'm thinking of a plane as less than a volume. I understand Hallsofivy to be saying a curve does not HAVE to be in a SINGLE plane (in words, use a volumn). I'm asking if you can have a curve without, at least, a plane to draw it on.

Maybe the OP is asking:
'what is the minimum number of dimensions required to construct a curved line?'

The OP probably expects the answer to be "2". Which appears to be what he/she means by a plane. You've already shown that some curves require 3 dimensions.

Curves with Hausdorff dimension == 'fractal' can be embedded in a 2D plane for example. Can a curve with dimension less than 2 be embedded? It seems that would be the answer to the question. I don't know the answer. Or if such a thing can be shown to exist.

jim mcnamara said:
Maybe the OP is asking:
'what is the minimum number of dimensions required to construct a curved line?'

The OP probably expects the answer to be "2". Which appears to be what he/she means by a plane. You've already shown that some curves require 3 dimensions.

Curves with Hausdorff dimension == 'fractal' can be embedded in a 2D plane for example. Can a curve with dimension less than 2 be embedded? It seems that would be the answer to the question. I don't know the answer. Or if such a thing can be shown to exist.

Thanks, that seems like a common sense answer. But it begs the question that many lay people have: {excuse the terminology} but why can't that answer be extrapolated to requiring a curved volume (3 dimesion) to be embedded in a hypervolume (4 dimension).

I would be very surprised if "lay people" asked about curved volumes embedded in a hyperplane but I can see why they would not get an answer- the basic assumption of that question is incorrect: you certainly can embed a curved volume in a hyperspace, exactly analogous to the situation for a curved path in 3 space.

HallsofIvy said:
I would be very surprised if "lay people" asked about curved volumes embedded in a hyperplane but I can see why they would not get an answer- the basic assumption of that question is incorrect: you certainly can embed a curved volume in a hyperspace, exactly analogous to the situation for a curved path in 3 space.

But, if I'm reading posts about "intrinsic curvature" correctly, you don't HAVE to imbed it hyperspace in the way a curved line has to be imbedded in 2 dimensional space. It seems like this is where the lay people, me included, on these sites are getting lost. Does this require differntial geometry to explain?

1. What is a curved line without a plane?

A curved line without a plane refers to a line that is not confined to a specific surface or plane, but instead curves through space without any restrictions.

2. Can a curved line without a plane exist in real life?

Yes, a curved line without a plane can exist in real life. It can be seen in natural shapes such as rivers, coastlines, and clouds, as well as in man-made structures like roller coasters and bridges.

3. How is a curved line without a plane different from a straight line?

A curved line without a plane differs from a straight line in that it does not follow a linear path and can change direction and curvature. It also does not lie on a specific plane, whereas a straight line is always confined to a single plane.

4. What is the significance of a curved line without a plane in mathematics?

A curved line without a plane is significant in mathematics because it allows for the study of shapes and objects that do not conform to traditional geometric rules. It also helps in understanding concepts such as curvature and non-Euclidean geometry.

5. Can a curved line without a plane be described using equations?

Yes, a curved line without a plane can be described using equations, such as parametric equations or implicit equations. These equations describe the x, y, and z coordinates of points on the line, allowing for a mathematical representation of the curved line without a plane.