Application of integral calculus: Work (spring)

In summary: It's your limits of integration. When you stretch the spring from L (unstretched) to 2L, how does x vary?x=1/10 of L
makovx
hi there! I'm having some troubles regarding this question:

"if a force of 5 pounds produces a stretch of 1/10 of the natural length, L , of the spring, how much work is done in stretching the spring to double its natural length?"

i tried answering this but I'm not sure if my answer is correct.
will the answer be in terms of L? thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
makovx said:
will the answer be in terms of L?
Yes.

i answered W= 75 L is it correct?

makovx said:
i answered W= 75 L is it correct?
No. How did you get that answer?

my solution is this:

F(x)=k(x)
F(x)= 5 pounds
x=1/10 of L = L/10

5 = k(L/10)
k= 50/L

then F(x)= 50/L x

my lower limit is L and my upper limit is 2L.

then, i did the usual integration in the equation W= integral of F(x) dx (with the upper limit and the lower limit)

makovx said:
my solution is this:

F(x)=k(x)
F(x)= 5 pounds
x=1/10 of L = L/10

5 = k(L/10)
k= 50/L

then F(x)= 50/L x
So far, so good.
my lower limit is L and my upper limit is 2L.

then, i did the usual integration in the equation W= integral of F(x) dx (with the upper limit and the lower limit)
Careful. In F = kx, x is the amount of stretch, not the total length. (Fix the limits of your integration.)

yes. x is the amount of stretch. if the length is L, and the amount of stretch is 1/10, wouldn't be x= 1/10 of L?

did i miss something there or is it just my limits of integration that made my answer wrong?

makovx said:
yes. x is the amount of stretch. if the length is L, and the amount of stretch is 1/10, wouldn't be x= 1/10 of L?
That part, where you calculated the spring constant, was just fine.
did i miss something there or is it just my limits of integration that made my answer wrong?
It's your limits of integration. When you stretch the spring from L (unstretched) to 2L, how does x vary?

I finally got your point. Thanks a lot! ^^,

1. What is the concept of work in the context of integral calculus?

The concept of work in integral calculus refers to the calculation of the amount of energy required to move an object over a distance. It involves finding the area under a curve on a graph representing force and distance, where force is the dependent variable and distance is the independent variable.

2. How is integral calculus used to calculate work in a spring system?

In a spring system, the force required to stretch or compress the spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. This relationship can be represented by a curve on a graph. By finding the area under this curve using integral calculus, we can calculate the work done on the spring.

3. What are the units of work in the context of integral calculus?

The units of work in integral calculus are joules (J). This is because work is defined as the product of force and distance, and both of these quantities are measured in SI units of newtons (N) and meters (m) respectively. Therefore, the unit of work is Nm, which is equivalent to joules.

4. Can integral calculus be applied to any type of spring system?

Yes, integral calculus can be applied to any type of spring system as long as the relationship between force and distance can be represented by a curve on a graph. This includes linear springs, non-linear springs, and even systems with multiple springs.

5. How does the use of integral calculus in calculating work in a spring system differ from other methods?

The use of integral calculus allows for a more precise and accurate calculation of work in a spring system compared to other methods, such as using the work-energy theorem. This is because it takes into account the changing force required to move the spring over a certain distance, rather than assuming a constant force. It also allows for the calculation of work in more complex systems with non-linear relationships between force and distance.