Two Slit Experiment-What am I doing wrong?

• Thread starter bcjochim07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slit
In summary, the conversation discusses a two slit experiment using a laser with a wavelength of 633 nm and a very thin piece of glass with an index of refraction of 1.50 placed over one of the slits. The central point on the screen is occupied by what had been the m=10 dark fringe, and the question is asked about the thickness of the glass. The conversation includes calculations and equations to determine the answer and addresses discrepancies in understanding about the formula for the positions of dark fringes and the direction of movement of the central maximum when a glass is placed over one of the slits.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A two slit experiment uses a laser with a wavelength of 633 nm. A very thin piece of glass with an index of refraction of 1.50 is placed over one of the slits. Afterward, the central point on the screen is occupied by what had been the m=10 dark fringe. What is the thickness of the glass?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The intial position of the m=10 dark fringe is (10 + .5)*(6.33e-7)*L/d, where L is the distance to the screen and d is the distance between the slits.

The central maximum must move up the same distance, so that its new position is at
y=(10.5)(6.33e-7)*L/d

Then I used Ltan(theta)=(10.5)(6.33e-7)L/d tan(theta) = (10.5)(6.33e-7)/d With the small angle approximation theta is about equal to (6.65e-6)/d

Then thinking about the delay between the waves going through the covered and uncovered slits. n=c/v so 1.5=(3.0e8)/v where v is the velocity through glass. The time it takes the wave to get through the glass is t=b/v, where b is thickness of the glass

The distance that the waves going the uncovered slit travels while the wave is still traveling through the glass is given by (b/v)*c.

In order to produce the constructive interference, the waves must get back in phase with each other, so the value of dsin(theta) should equal (b/v)*c. Sin(theta is about equal to theta, so substituting:

(b/v)*c=d*(6.65e-6)/d
1.5b= 6.65e-6
b= 4.43e-6 m = 4.43 micrometers

What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bcjochim07,

bcjochim07 said:

Homework Statement

A two slit experiment uses a laser with a wavelength of 633 nm. A very thin piece of glass with an index of refraction of 1.50 is placed over one of the slits. Afterward, the central point on the screen is occupied by what had been the m=10 dark fringe. What is the thickness of the glass?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The intial position of the m=10 dark fringe is (10 + .5)*(6.33e-7)*L/d,

This line has a small error. This should be:

[tex]
(9 + .5)*(6.33e-7)*L/d
[/tex]

because if you think about the m=1 dark fringe, it's shift is by 1/2 of a wavelength.

where L is the distance to the screen and d is the distance between the slits.

The central maximum must move up the same distance, so that its new position is at
y=(10.5)(6.33e-7)*L/d

Then I used Ltan(theta)=(10.5)(6.33e-7)L/d tan(theta) = (10.5)(6.33e-7)/d With the small angle approximation theta is about equal to (6.65e-6)/d

Then thinking about the delay between the waves going through the covered and uncovered slits. n=c/v so 1.5=(3.0e8)/v where v is the velocity through glass. The time it takes the wave to get through the glass is t=b/v, where b is thickness of the glass

The distance that the waves going the uncovered slit travels while the wave is still traveling through the glass is given by (b/v)*c.

In order to produce the constructive interference, the waves must get back in phase with each other, so the value of dsin(theta) should equal (b/v)*c. Sin(theta is about equal to theta, so substituting:

(b/v)*c=d*(6.65e-6)/d

So you need to correct the 6.65e-6 number I mentioned above, but also this equation is not written down quite right. The right side is the difference in the path lengths of the two beams, but the left side is the distance that one beam goes in the time t. So what the left side needs to be is:

(distance beam 1 goes in time t) - (distance beam 2 goes in time 2)

where t is the time that beam 2 takes to go through the glass. What do you get?

alright, so I did

So, (9.5)*(6.33e-7)L/d=L tan(theta)

theta = (6.0135e-6)/d

ct-vt= d*(6.0135e-6)/d

t(3.0e8-2.0e8)= 6.0135e-6
t= 6.0135e-14

thickness= v*t= 1.2*10^-5 meters.

I got the answer, but I am wondering why the book tells me the formula for the positions of dark fringes is (m+.5)*lambda*L/d... could you explain further why you said it is (9+.5)*lambda*L/d?? Thank you

also, when you put a glass over one of the slits, the central maximum is supposed to move towards that slit. But how I am thinking of it, the wave coming out of the covered slit needs to "catch up" with the wave going through the uncovered slit to get in phase. To me, this means that the waves coming through the covered slit have to travel farther than the ones coming through the uncovered slit, so the central max should move away from the covered slit. What's wrong with my reasoning? I really appreciate your help.

bcjochim07 said:
alright, so I did

So, (9.5)*(6.33e-7)L/d=L tan(theta)

theta = (6.0135e-6)/d

ct-vt= d*(6.0135e-6)/d

t(3.0e8-2.0e8)= 6.0135e-6
t= 6.0135e-14

thickness= v*t= 1.2*10^-5 meters.

I got the answer, but I am wondering why the book tells me the formula for the positions of dark fringes is (m+.5)*lambda*L/d... could you explain further why you said it is (9+.5)*lambda*L/d?? Thank you

It's just because m starts at zero with the first dark fringe. So m=9 for the tenth dark fringe.

It starts at zero because we know that when there is a half-wavelength phase difference there is destructive interference; if we started with m=1 then we would lose that case. (The formula could just as easily be (m-.5) and then m would have started with 1.)

The important thing is that the quantity in parenthesis (m+.5) must produce the series:

1/2, 3/2, 5/2, 7/2, ...

as m varies.

bcjochim07 said:
also, when you put a glass over one of the slits, the central maximum is supposed to move towards that slit. But how I am thinking of it, the wave coming out of the covered slit needs to "catch up" with the wave going through the uncovered slit to get in phase. To me, this means that the waves coming through the covered slit have to travel farther than the ones coming through the uncovered slit, so the central max should move away from the covered slit. What's wrong with my reasoning? I really appreciate your help.

If you're looking for the central fringe, then the number of wavelengths between the slit and detector must be the same for each wave. But the wavelength of light is smaller in the glass.

So doing some quick numbers, the wave passing through the glass had about 28.5 wavelengths fit in the glass; but the other wave only had about 19 wavelengths fit in the same 12 micrometer distance. So it had to go a farther distance (a distance equal to about 9.5 wavelengths), so that the waves would "match up" again and create the central fringe.

That is a great explanation. Thanks so much

Sure, glad to help!

1. What is the Two Slit Experiment?

The Two Slit Experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. Why is the Two Slit Experiment important?

The Two Slit Experiment is important because it challenges our understanding of the nature of light and matter. It shows that light can behave as both a wave and a particle, and raises questions about the fundamental nature of reality.

3. What is the purpose of the Two Slit Experiment?

The purpose of the Two Slit Experiment is to demonstrate the wave-like behavior of light and the interference patterns that result from this behavior. It also helps to support the theory of quantum mechanics.

4. How does the Two Slit Experiment work?

In the Two Slit Experiment, a beam of light is shone through two parallel slits onto a screen. The light passing through the slits creates an interference pattern on the screen, with alternating bright and dark bands. This pattern is created because the light waves passing through the slits interfere with each other.

5. What could I be doing wrong in the Two Slit Experiment?

There are a few things that could affect the results of the Two Slit Experiment. Some common mistakes include using a light source that is not coherent (such as a light bulb), using slits that are too wide or too close together, or not properly controlling for external factors such as air currents. It is important to ensure that the experiment is set up correctly and to carefully control for any potential sources of error.