Electric fields, distance, and potential difference

In summary, the potential difference between the accelerating plates of a TV set is 20 kV and the distance between the plates is 1.0 cm. To find the magnitude of the uniform electric field in the region between the plates, the equation E=V/D can be used, where E is the electric field and D is the distance between the plates. After plugging in the numbers, the answer is 2.0*10^6 N/C.
goWlfpack

Homework Statement

The potential difference between the accelerating plates of a TV set is about 20 kV. If the distance between the plates is 1.0 cm, find the magnitude of the uniform electric field in the region between the plates.

Homework Equations

V=ED so E=V/D where E is the electric field and D is the distance between the plates

The Attempt at a Solution

I am soooo confused. I swear I am just plugging in the numbers. since kv is 1000 v and cm is 1/100th of a m i did 20,000/.01 and that was wrong. I did this because they want the answer in N/C and i thought that conversion factor was right... any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation looks right to me. What did you get for a final answer? Did you include the units in your answer?

yes the units are already written after the equation. I got 2.0*10^6. after going over everything it looks right to me...

Yes, looks right to me too. Weird.

What's the answer supposed to be?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds electrically charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within the field.

2. How is electric field strength related to distance?

The strength of an electric field decreases as the distance from the source of the field increases. This relationship follows an inverse square law, meaning that the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

3. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts and represents the amount of work needed to move a unit of charge between those two points.

4. How is potential difference related to distance?

The potential difference between two points in an electric field is directly proportional to the distance between those points. This means that as the distance increases, the potential difference also increases.

5. How does distance affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the distance from the source of the field. As the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases.